The Invitation

Sean and Kaycee thought it would take a bit more time for them to settle into a routine, but just like anything they do together, it came as easy as breathing.

"Morning." Kaycee yawned, stretching her arms as she walked out of her bedroom. She could already smell something savory being fried in the kitchen. "What's for breakfast?"

"Bacon and eggs." Sean replied, voice a little croaky from lack of use. He turned to give her a dimpled smile, then returned his attention to the stove. He was the epitome of just-got-out-of-bed - hair sticking out all over the place, oversized tee, and plaid boxers.

Kaycee connected her phone to their Bluetooth speaker and played their usual morning playlist, then got the coffee maker started. While the coffee brewed and Sean finished cooking their breakfast, Kaycee quickly jumped in the shower.

Afterwards, she joined Sean at their little dining table, where he had already set out the food.

"So what's your schedule like today?" He asked, sticking a piece of bacon in his mouth.

"I have music class today, which is always a bit hard for me." She replied as she poured a portion of soy milk into a mug of steaming coffee, the one with a capital 'S' on it, then slid it over to Sean.

"Is it something I can help you with?" He offered, taking a sip from the coffee she just made him.

"No, I think I can still handle it. You've got too much on your plate already." Kaycee said.

"Okay. But the offer stands if ever need it."

"Thanks." She smiled, swiping an extra piece of bacon from his plate. He let her. "You're literally just across the living room."

After they ate and cleared the table, Sean took his turn in the shower while Kaycee did the dishes. Then, they both got dressed for the day and prepared to head out.

"Are you having dinner here?" Kaycee asked as Sean squeezed in next to her in front of the bathroom sink. He reached across her to get to the holder where two toothbrushes sat - one blue, one orange.

"Yeah, but my class might end a bit later than usual. Do you want to just get takeout, or can you wait for me to get home?" He replied, putting toothpaste on his toothbrush.

"I can make pasta if you want." She offered, flashing a cheeky grin.

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Yeah, alright."

Bags packed and keys pocketed, they headed for the bus stop closest their apartment. Sean took a bus headed one way, a 20 minute commute to NYU; Kaycee took another bus the other way, a 10 minute ride to Juilliard.

As Kaycee watched the city go by through the bus windows, she couldn't help by marvel at how fast time flew by. They were already two months into the school year, knee-deep in new routines and rehearsals. Sophomore year was even more stressful than the first, but having their own place to come home to made everything more bearable.

It wasn't that she didn't enjoy living in Juilliard and rooming with Tahani during her freshman year. She had a lot of fun, and it helped her build strong relationships with her troupe mates. But having a place to come home to, having Sean to come home to, made all the difference.

No matter how bad her day went, he always gave her something to look forward to. She loved knowing that after a stressful rehearsal, or a bad performance, she can come home to find Sean waiting for her with a delicious dinner, and he'd rub her aching feet while they watch Friends until they fall asleep on the couch.

Sometimes, the lines would get blurred again. But each time they came too close to doing something they couldn't take back, Kaycee found herself pulling away. She always pulled away first. She pulled back and looked away before she could read something in his eyes that would break her heart.

The day went by quickly, painlessly, much to Kaycee's surprise. She even managed to get through her dreaded Music Class without making a fool of herself.

"Kayc, when are we finally going to see your new place?" Tahani asked as she stretched her hamstrings. They had just finished their Ballet Class and were doing some cooling down exercises to relieve their muscles.

Kaycee was seated in a circle with Tahani, Chloe, and Charlize, stretching her back. "Well, it's Friday night. If you guys aren't doing anything, we can have a sleepover."

"Really? That sounds fun!" Charlize clapped, backed up by the other two.

"Alright, great." Kaycee smiled and reached for her phone. "Let me just tell Sean that you guys are coming over."

Three rings in and he picked up.

"What's up, Kayc?" He answered.

"Hey! Did I catch you at a bad time?" She asked, worried she had disturbed a class. But she knew his schedule, and he should have been on break at the time.

"No, it's good. I'm actually gonna head home in a bit. Why?"

"Oh, really? I thought you had a late class tonight?"

"I did, but the professor called in sick, and just gave us a bunch of readings."

"Okay. Well, the girls wanted to come see the apartment, so I invited them over for a sleepover tonight. Is that okay?" She asked, knowing he would say yes.

"Yeah, of course." He answered, a smile evident in his voice. "Want me to drop by the supermarket on my way home? I could make us something nice for dinner."

"Really? You'd do that?" She gasped, a soft smile gracing her face. He could hear the tenderness in her tone through the phone.

"Yeah, not a big deal." He shrugged. Even without seeing him, she knew he shrugged. Sean ended the call with a click, and Kaycee met the expectant gaze of her friends.

"Well?" Chloe asked.

"He'll be cooking us dinner." Kaycee announced. The girls cheered, and started chanting "Chopped Champion! Chopped Champion!", an inside joke on Sean's culinary past. Their celebration was abruptly cut when Dylan, a classmate of theirs, approached the group, accompanied by his friends.

"Hey, ladies!" He greeted, flashing his million-dollar smile. He had one of those old-timey pretty boy faces, the kind that was chiseled in all the right places. It also helped that he was genuinely sweet and friendly. It was almost impossible to dislike the guy. "Got any plans tonight?"

"Yeah, we're headed to Kaycee's apartment for a sleepover." Charlize shared.

"Oh, cool. Cool." He replied, seeming a touch awkward. Like that bit of info ruined what he was going to say next. "Hey, Kayc."

"Yeah?" Kaycee said, turning her attention to him.

"This may seem a bit forward, but would you like to go out with me some time?" Dylan asked, blue eyes shining earnestly. "I was gonna ask you out tonight, there's this show downtown, but evidently you have plans."

Kaycee paused, unsure of what to say. She did not expect this at all.

Her heart raced, and hands turned clammy. A little voice at the back of her head told her to turn him down. Why would she need to go out on a date when everything she needs is on the way to the supermarket to buy food dinner?!

But another voice chirped that Sean was her best friend, her partner, reminding her of all the reasons she always pulled away when they got too close. Why it was too dangerous.

"Kayc?" Dylan's voice pulled her out of her reverie. She had been thinking too long. "What do you say?"

She looked at her friends, hoping for some help. But they were just as surprised as she was, and also eager to hear her answer. Kaycee took a deep breath.

"Sure, I'd love to."

~~~

Author's Note: New York is shaping up so much longer than I expected. I'm sorry for making this a bulk if the book. I did not expect this to happen! I have tons more of ideas for short stories, but they always turn out long. 😂

Also, in case you missed it, Sean is spending the Easter weekend with the Rice family at the lake. They were exposed by Brad and Laura. #FamilyTings