The Truth

By the time the pair managed to head out for the grocery, it was already mid-afternoon. Symptoms of a cold night were already in the air, so the two Californians made sure to bundle up. After several months of cohabitation, the commute to Sean's favorite supermarket was already second nature to them both.

As they made their way to the train station, Kaycee spotted a young couple on the other side of the street. The guy had his arm wrapped around his girlfriend, who stared up at him adoringly before she reciprocated the gesture by hugging him to her side.

Kaycee glanced at Sean, who walked next to her with his hands stuffed in his hoodie pocket. Feeling her eyes on him, he returned her gaze with a inquisitive grin.

“What?” He said, searching her face.

“Nothing,” She nervously chuckled, fidgeting with her hands.

Are we supposed to hold hands? I mean, we’ve held hands before. But not like this.

He nudged her with his elbow, making her look back at him.

“Really, it’s nothing.” She sighed, putting her hands into her own jacket pockets. “It’s just that...well...gosh, you’re going to think this is so dumb.”

Sean stopped walking, taking a step to the side so that they wouldn’t disrupt the flow of pedestrians. Kaycee followed him, suddenly self-conscious and unable to look him in the eyes.

“What is it?” He asked again, hesitantly reaching up to tap her chin with his forefinger.

Kaycee gnawed her lower lip momentarily, missing the way Sean’s eyes darted down to follow the movement, and the way he sucked in a deep breath when her tongue darted out to moisten her lip.

“I...um...was thinking,” She hesitated, turning the words over in her mind.

“Go on.” He encouraged.

“Don’tyouwanttoholdmyhand?” She spat out in one breath. Sean’s eyes widened a fraction, letting her words sink in. Then his eyes scrunched up, his dimples made an appearance, and his lips split into a blinding grin. He heartily laughed.

“What? Why are you laughing?” Kaycee groaned, slapping him on the shoulder. Blood rushed to her face in embarrassment, and suddenly, it wasn’t very cold out anymore.

“No, no. I’m not laughing at you! I promise.” Sean backpedalled, removing his hands from his hoodie pockets, and placed them on the sides of Kaycee’s face. His palms were warm against her cold cheeks, so she leaned into his touch.

“I have been thinking about holding your hand the second you locked the front door, Kayc.” He murmured, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “I just wasn’t sure if you wanted me to. I mean, some people don’t like public displays of affection. And I didn’t know how to ask.”

“Sean, we’ve held hands before. You’ve never had to ask to touch me anywhere.” She reminded him, referencing their physical experience as dance partners.

“Yeah, I know, but this is different. When we’re partners, you gave me free access over your body to do what is needed for the piece. But this is kind of new territory, don’t you think?”

“We had sex thrice in less than 24 hours. I think I can handle holding hands.” Kaycee joked, making Sean groan and roll his eyes at her crassness.

“I know, I was there!” He retorted. “But still, I’m not going to assume I have permission. I just don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

A sweet warmth spread through Kaycee chest, filling her with fondness for the beautiful boy in front of her. Even after all these years, he still treated her with the highest respect, and still managed to surprise her. She really was the luckiest girl in the world.