Chapter Six:

CHAPTER SIX:

"A witch?" Rosalie's voice was heavy with disbelief and skepticism.

"Yes," I say, my chin high, meeting her golden-eyed glare. We're sitting at the Cullen's dining room table, and Edward has just filled the rest of the family in for the first time about James's demise- and the leading role I played in it.

It goes without saying that they were very skeptical. I didn't blame them- they hadn't been there, like Edward had, hadn't seen what I'd done. But I calmly met each of their gazes, even Rosalie's, portraying a calm confidence I didn't even know I possessed.

"Alright... say we believe you," Carlisle sounds cautious, "What exactly do your powers entail?"

"Many things," I say, trying not to sound too much like a show-off, yet wanting them to truly understand the capabilities of my powers, of the powers every witch and wizard has. "Much more then what your Gifts can do."

"Such as?" Emmett prompts, looking excited.

"It's hard to really describe the full scope of my magic." I admit, thinking.

"What kind of scope are we talking about?" Jasper asks, his expression sharper then Emmett and Alice's, because he understands the danger, the risk, where all they see is fun and games, unconsciously unable to see a human as a risk, despite the fact I'd destroyed James.

I feel uncomfortable at Jasper's question, and chew on my lip. "An almost exhaustive one. We can cast spells for protection that work like impermeable shields, turn ourselves into animals, create potions that heal skin, flesh and bones, spells and cloaks of invisibility and camouflage. We can turn turtles into teapots, appa-teleport from one location to another, conjure birds from thin air, create objects of wondrous beauty and infinite power..."

I pause, my face growing darker. "I could immobilize you with a flick of my wand, read you minds and wipe your memories." I say, softly. "I could strip a person of their skin and turn them inside out. I could inflict the greatest pain imaginable on someone, without ever leaving a mark on their skin." I close my eyes, feeling sick at my words. "I could turn you into my personal puppet, unable to fight against a single command but aware of every action. And I can kill with only a pair of words, and from that there would be no escape."

Silence follows my speech, and I wipe at my damp eyes with the back of my sleeve. "Our power is a blessing, our magic a gift." I say quietly. "It gives us abilities most could never even dream of. But it is gifted to the good and the bad, and for every good spell there is an evil one to match."

The room is deathly quiet. I focus my gaze on my hands, not wanting to see the expressions on my vampire family's faces.

"Well," breathes Carlisle, finally, "do I dare ask for a demonstration after that?"

-

-

I bury Griselda in the back garden, and with her I bury not my memories of Edward, but the part of me that had been unable to let him go, that had left me crippled with what had felt to be an all-consuming depression.

It's not hard to decipher the message, or to guess who it's from- Victoria is angry. Beyond angry- the phrase 'murderous rage' comes to mind. And I don't have time anymore to be distracted by my mourning. Keeping my eyes open for a dangerous, furious vampire hell-bent on retribution will be a full time job, because when she finds out the Cullens have left, it's not going to be gifts in the mail out of fear of getting too close- no, it's going to be bloody open season on the human.