Epilogue:

EPILOGUE:

We caught a plane back to America. Well, technically we caught two planes. I spent most of both flights in Edward's arms.

"I didn't know the Volturi knew about the wizarding world," Edward mentioned lightly, at one point during the flight from Rome to Atlanta.

"They keep the other vampires in line," I explain, "the Italian Ministry keeps a close eye on them to make sure they follow the laws."

"Laws?" Edward raises an eyebrow. I snuggle into his chest.

"Keep their existence hidden from muggles and hurting or killing a witch or wizard is punishable by death." I explain.

"What if the Kings got someone else to kill you?" Edward points out. I shake my head.

"It's not measured by the individual- if a member of a coven breaks the law, the whole coven if destroyed." Edward shudders, his arms holding me tighter. It's almost uncomfortable, the way he's constricting me, but it doesn't bother me. "Of course, they might have taken the risk if they knew I was a mudblood. We aren't valued as highly, which is why I tried to get across the point I was a Pureblood without actually coming out and saying it." I admit. "Especially if they're aware of the situation in Britain right now."

"You took a huge gamble." Edward states, running his fingers through my hair.

"And I'd do it again." I tell him, honestly. "I'd do anything for you- we both know that." Edward sighs.

"I know."

Neither Alice nor Edward was surprised by the reception that waited for us at Sea-Tac airport, but it caught me off guard. Jasper was the first one I saw- and he didn't seem to see me at all. His eyes were only for Alice. She went quickly to his side; they didn't embrace like other couples meeting there. They only stared into each other's faces, yet, somehow, the moment was so private that I still felt the need to look away.

Carlisle and Esme waited in a quiet corner far from the line for the metal detectors, in the shadow of a wide pillar. Esme reached for me, hugging me fiercely, yet awkwardly, because Edward kept his arms around me, too. "Thank you so much," she said in my ear.

Then she threw her arms around Edward, and she looked like she would be crying if that were possible. "You will never put me through that again," she nearly growled.

Edward grinned, repentant. "Sorry, Mom."

"Thank you, Bella," Carlisle said. "We owe you."

"Hardly," I said.

"You look exhausted," Esme said, concerned. I frowned, trying to remember how long it had been since I'd slept- I was probably overdue for forty-winks.

Edward led the way through the airport, never letting go of me. Reaching the car, I was surprised by the sight of Emmett and Rosalie leaning against the black sedan under the dim lights of the parking garage. Edward stiffened.

"Don't," Esme whispered. "She feels awful."

"She should," Edward said, making no attempt to keep his voice down.

"It's not her fault," I said.

"Let her make amends," Esme pleaded. "We'll ride with Alice and Jasper." Edward glowered at the absurdly lovely blond vampire waiting for us.

"Please, Edward," I said. I didn't want to ride with Rosalie any more than he seemed to, but I'd caused more than enough discord in his family. He sighed, and towed me toward the car.

Emmett and Rosalie got in the front seat without speaking, while Edward pulled me in the back again. Yawning, I laid my head against his chest, letting my eyes close. I felt the car purr to life.