Chapter Fourteen:

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

"We now turn to Rita Skeeter's new biography of Albus Dumbledore."

"Have you got a copy ?"

"Of course! And I highly recommend it to all our listeners who need something to blow their nose on."

"About the only use for it, by all accounts. Seriously people, do you really think Dumbledore would've done the things Skeeter is saying he did? No. So, later in the programme we'll give you some practical uses for Rita's book.

"Such as wrapping things up, cleaning windows, propping doors, while helping start fires.

"But in the meantime, here's Rapier with some more survival tips!

"Peruvian instant darkness powder- instant darkness! Any time! Anywhere! Simply throw it where you want it to be dark and plunge opponents into an instant night-time, giving you the chance to get away!"

"Good luck out there and remember: as long as you have a wireless, you're not alone!"

-

-

When the holidays arrived in Forks again, I woke up on Monday morning, with the realization that last holidays I'd been hunted by a vampire, too. I hoped this wasn't some kind of tradition forming.

My life was once again falling into a pattern of things. I spent a majority of my time after school at La Push, as well as Sundays, and Saturdays I spent with Angela and Katie. I listened to Potterwatch every night before I went to bed, I purchased the seventh year course books for all my Hogwarts subjects and I looked into enrolling at Salem Witches Academy.

While at the reservation, I'd spend my time mostly on the beach, while Charlie hung out with Billy at the Blacks' house. I was supposed to be with Jacob, but Jacob had other things to do, so I studied my course-books and practiced more advanced magic alone, keeping the secret from Charlie.

When Jacob dropped in to check on me, he apologized for ditching me so much. He told me his schedule wasn't always this crazy, but until Victoria was stopped, the wolves were on red alert.

When we walked along the beach now, he always held my hand.

I supposed that a romantic relationship was exactly what our friendship looked like from the outside. As long as Jake and I knew how it really was, I shouldn't let those kinds of assumptions bother me. And maybe they wouldn't, if I hadn't known that Jacob would have loved for things to be what they appeared. But his hand felt nice as it warmed mine, and I didn't protest.

Jacob dropped me off at school on Tuesday—he followed me on his bike to make sure I arrived safely, despite my protests to the contrary—and Mike noticed.

"Are you dating that kid from La Push? The sophomore?" He asked, poorly disguising the resentment in his tone.

I shrugged. "Not in the technical sense of the word. I do spent most of my time with Jacob, though. He's my one of my best friends."

Mike's eyes narrowed shrewdly. "Don't kid yourself, Bella. The guy's head over heels for you." I shudder, and could easily imagine the horrified look on my face. No, just no- Jacob was my friend, and one of my best ones at that, not a potential love interest.

"God, life's complicated." I say, mostly to myself, too disturbed to even want to consider that Jacob had those sorts of feelings towards me. Mike was just being ridiculous, I decide- typical teenage boy, unable to consider the concept of boys and girls just being friends, without one of them secretly wanting to bone the other.