Chapter Thirteen:

CHAPTER THIRTEEN:

"I- I'm supposed to hurt you," Draco whispered and Luna let out a small sigh then closed her eyes. A look of horror and sickness crossed the boy's face, and he shuddered. "Just... just scream. Scream like I'm t-torturing you. Please!"

Luna opened her eyes to give him a soft look, then obediently opened her mouth and let a horrific wail of pain escape. Scream after sickening scream that had Draco flinching and cringing, until he couldn't stand it and asked her to stop.

The blonde girl was panting, her throat dry and pained, but the discomfort was nothing, less then nothing, compared to what the Cruciatus would have been like. She gave Draco a look of gratitude, before shifting back so she was leaning against the wall of the cellar, exhaustion clear on her face, closing her eyes so she didn't have to watch him leave.

-

-

Sunday morning, I cooked a traditional English breakfast for Charlie and I, and we sat down to eat together.

"So what's your plan for the day?" I asked him, once we'd finished, and Charlie stretched slightly, before patting his stomach and looking thoughtful.

"Well, you know about the bear problem," he said, and I nodded. Yes, I did know about the bear problem- or rather, the not-bear problem; and I knew a considerably larger amount about the not-bear, not-problem then Charlie. "Well, the rangers and I are going out hunting," Charlie said.

My stomach twisted unhappily, and I frowned. "Are you sure it's safe?" I asked him, and he smiled assurignly.

"Don't worry, Bells," he said, "I'll be safe."

"Okay dad," I said, still frowning after him as we parted for the day.

I was supposed to be heading over to Angela's, but first I decided to go visit Jacob, to warn him about the rangers.

The Black's house was dark, no lights in the windows. My fist thudded against the front door; the sound louder then I intended, reverberating through the walls.

"Come in," I heard Billy call after a minute, and a light flicked on.

I twisted the knob; it was unlocked. Billy was leaning around an open doorway just off the little kitchen, a bathrobe around his shoulders, not in his chair yet. When he saw who it was, his eyes widened briefly, and then his face turned stoic.

"Well, good morning, Bella. What are you doing up so early?"

"I needed to talk to Jake—where is he?"

"Um... I don't really know," Billy lied, straight-faced.

"Do you know what Charlie is doing this morning?" I demanded, sick of the stalling.

"Should I?"

"He and half the other men in town are all out in the woods with guns, hunting bears." Billy's expression flickered, and then went blank. "So I'd like to talk to Jake about that, if you don't mind," I continued.

Billy pursed his thick lips for a long moment, before he nodded. "He's in his room. Sleeping."

"Then I'll wake him up," I say.

Jacob's tiny closet of a room was the only door in the yard-long hallway. I didn't bother to knock. Ithrew the door open; it slammed against the wall with a bang.

Jacob was stretched diagonally across the double bed that took up all of his room but a few inches around the edges. Even on a slant, it wasn't long enough; his feet hung off the one end and his head off the other. He was fast asleep, snoring lightly with his mouth hanging open. The sound of the door hadn't even made him twitch.