Chapter 8- The Problem

I didn't get back into the pack house until later that night. the sun had already set, engulfing the land in darkness. I made my way through the den that seemed to be empty, and went down the hall. I heard someone stomping across the wood floor and I froze in place.

"Where in the world have you been?" Rafe shouted.

"I've been out," I shrugged and walked past him back to my room. Our room? He followed after me and I could feel the heat from his anger radiating off of him.

"I couldn't find you anywhere, Katarina. Why did you just leave me and run off like that?"

"Because I did!" I shouted.

Rafe slammed the door behind him and grabbed my arm, sparks shot through, straight to my nerves. He turned me around so I was facing him, his eyes staring into mine intently, the tension clearly palpable in the air between us.

"Why?" He asked again through gritted teeth.

"One, because you don't own me, and two, because I'm not part of this."

Rafe's brow furrowed and his grip loosened slightly.

"What?"

"You made it perfectly clear earlier; I'm not part of your pack, I don't belong here."

 Rafe groaned and started pacing the room. "That wasn't what I meant-"

"But it's what you said," I cut in. That's why I left my old pack, I didn't belong. No one knew I existed, and if they did then they treated me like crap. Trust me, I have no problems with leaving places I'm not wanted."

Rafe crossed the room and backed me into the wall. His lips were suddenly on mine, sending my mind spinning. His hands slipped behind my head, his fingers getting lost in my long hair. I opened my mouth slightly, allowing him entrance.

Rafe took the opportunity, his tongue slipping inside. My hands wandered up his tight shirt, running over his well-defined muscles. I fought the urge to rip his shirt off right there. I would have torn it to pieces. My hands slid around to his back, feeling him move as he leaned into me. When he pulled back we were both out of breath.

"You are my mate, Katarina, and you are most definitely wanted."

His words touched me in a way that his body couldn't. No amount of phisical contact could have affected me the same. He wanted me, Rafe wanted me.

I bit my lip looking up into his eyes as he loomed over me.

"Then what were you talking about in the meeting?" I asked quietly. 

"Don't worry about that, we're taking care of it."

"But I'd like to know," I insisted. 

"It's just some packs that aren't happy with me," Rafe said trying to push it off as he trailed kisses from my lips down to my neck. 

"What packs?"

"It doesn't matter," he said against my neck. 

"It does to me," I said pulling away as much as I could. 

Rafe looked up at me, his eyes bored into mine. "Why does it matter so much?" He asked.

"Because it does."

"Well I can't share that information with you."

I pushed Rafe away from me. "You can't do that," I shouted at him.

"Do what?"

"That!" I shouted. "You can't keep flip-flopping like that. You can't say that you want me one minute, that you want me to be your mate, and then keep things like that from me. It doesn't work that way."

"I will keep what I want to, I don't need to tell you everything."

"If I'm your mate, if I'm going to be the Luna for this pack, then yes you do. I'm just as involved in the business as you are. Now tell me what packs."

"Why does it matter what packs they are?"

"Because I want to know if it's my old pack," I shouted at him. "I want to know if your planning on attacking the Dark Rise pack."

"Yes," he said unphased.

"And if I asked you not to?"

"It wouldn't help."

"Nothing I could say?"

"Nope."

I nodded once. I didn't care what he thought he meant. I would get him to change his mind. He could say that nothing I would have to say would change his mind, but I knew there was still a chance for it, for them. I had to try whatever I could. If it was possible for me to change Rafe, then it would start here. He wouldn't go into my pack, he wouldn't kill my family. Rafe was going to become a better person and it started here, it started with me and it started with my old pack.

"Don't do it."

"You didn't hear me did you?"

"I heard you, now you get to hear me. Don't do it."

Rafe smirked. "And why not?"

"Because I told you not to."

"I'm the Alpha of this pack and I decide what to do. We are going in there and we are attacking. We aren't going to sit by and wait for them to come for us. It will be better this way."

"Better for whom?" I asked.

"Us."

"And what about them? They don't deserve that. They have as much control over the situation as your pack does with what you do. You can't go after all of them for the decisions of a few."

"Why do you even care? They did't even acknowledge you."

"But my parents are in there," I pointed out.

"I'll get them out."

"What if I don't want the rest of them to die?"

Rafe shrugged. "They'll only die if they fight against me."

"But what if I don't want them to?"

"Why wouldn't you?"

"Because they don't deserve that. It doesn't matter if they acted like I didn't exist, it doesn't matter if they were mean to me, they are still people and they don't deserve that."

Rafe's brow furrowed. It was like he couldn't grasp the concept. If he didn't agree with someone, his first instinct had always been to just get rid of them. He had never thought about that person being a living person, a living thing. It had just been something standing in his way. To say that I understood that was a long stretch, but I think I could understand where he was coming from. Now I just had to make him see where I was coming from.

The only problem was, my time for that was limited.

*************

So the clock is ticking for Rafe, Katarina, and Katarina's old pack. What do you think's going to happen?

Comment, vote, and fan please!!