Chapter 33- Some Answers

Yes, this really is the last chapter... Enjoy! External link to sequel below.

***********

I got up and went to find Rafe, trying to process what had just happened. The Moon Goddess had actually answered me. I had had loose faith in her since I was young, only turning to her in my most desparate situations and never before had I heard from her. Until today. 

I wasn't sure what to do with what she had said. I entered the pack house and Rafe ran up to me. 

"Where in the world did you go? We went back for you and you were just gone," he said, his eyes wide.

"I'm sorry, I just had to do something."

"Do something? What?"

"I- I talked with the Moon Goddess," I said quietly. I looked into his eyes and I knew he thought I sounded crazy. I mean people talked to the goddess all the time, but no one ever talked with her. "You know what, never mind," I said pulling him to me. 

I wrapped my arms around Rafe's neck and pressed my lips to his. The kiss was intense, Rafe's lips moved hungrily over mine and his arms pulled me in closer. 

Then he pulled back. 

Rafe looked down at me, an expression I couldn't read in his eyes. It was almost like sadness, but not quite. My heart sank, something was wrong, I knew it. Was it because the feeling wasn't there anymore, the pull?

"Katarina."

"It's because of the bond, isn't it?" I asked. 

"What?"

"You don't feel the same way about me because the pull's gone."

Rafe tipped my chin up, making me look into his eyes. "How could you ever think that, Katarina?"

"That's why you pulled away wasn't it?" I asked, my eyes flicking down to the ground before back at him. 

"That's not why. Katarina, you're my mate and nothing's going to change that. I don't know why the feeling isn't there, but that doesn't matter. You were made for me, and I for you. I'm not going to let some bond, some feeling dictate whether or not we're together." He paused for a moment. 

"I only stopped because I had a few questions. starting with this," he said lacing his fingers through mine. I knew he was talking about the fact that there was no intense feeling when we touched. "And this," he said again as he moved both out hands to rest on my stomach. "I love you, Katarina," he whispered before leaning down and kissing me softly. 

I was frozen, had he really just said that he loved me?  What was I supposed to do? Should I say it back, or what? It took me a moment to get my thoughts straight, it felt like my mind had been scrambled. It was amazing how even without the pull he could still have this affect on me. 

"I- I love you too."

Rafe smiled and pulled me over to the couch, sitting down with me leaning against him. "So what did this moon goddess say?" Rafe asked with a slight smile in his voice. I knew he was trying to be serious, he really was curious, but I could also tell he thought I had lost my mind. 

"We're still mates," I said. "Even without that feeling."

"I could have told you that Katarina, I don't need a feeling out here," he said touching my hand again. "To tell me to have feelings in here." Rafe moved his hand over his heart. "But what happened?"

"The binds that were used on me had a mixture of Wolfsbane and Kurlan. Apparently the combination makes a werewolf unable to shift, and if you're exposed for too long, can actually damage the wolf."