14.5

S

I turned my tv that was anchored to my wall off, and looked over at Ethan as he sat on my bed and stared blankly at the black screen.

"She's going to tell them" he spoke softly, barely audible and I could feel the room tense with pain.

"Ethan. She won't say anything, you said she was like your sister. She wouldn't expos-" my words were quickly interrupted with Ethan's.

"They'll give her less time if she tells them. I know Kiara, and I know how much she hated it in there. If she's given the opportunity of years off her sentence just to expose me, she will" he spoke anxiously as his fingers intertwined with eachother and he moved his leg up and down quickly.

"She doesn't know where you are right now though. You haven't spoken to her in weeks, she doesn't know I exist and you ditched your phone. They have no way of tracking you" I spoke softly trying to calm him down as I placed my hand on his leg and he looked at me with pain and fear in his eyes.

I could tell he was afraid.

Ethan's changed these last few weeks. He went from a reckless criminal to a fearful man on the run.

We both knew he would one day be caught. He couldn't be on the run forever and if I'm being honest, I'm surprised he hasn't already been caught considering all the outings he's done.

He laid down on my bed and sighed.

"Just promise me one thing" he spoke quietly trying not to startle me.

I looked over at him and waited for the next sentence to come out of his mouth.

"Whatever happens to me, you won't get caught up in it. Don't let your future crumble because of me Shelbs" he spoke too softly for my liking as his eyes stared blankly at my ceiling and his breathing slowed down.

I didn't say a word. Instead I just laid down next to him and nodded my head, thinking about how it was already too late.

How I was already caught up in his reckless lifestyle...

—————-

Two hours earlier

I got out of my car, slamming the door and walking towards the shadows in the alley.

It was nine and I decided to stick to my word and come back to see if their decision was made.

As I walked closer I noticed the two shadows open a door and walk away.

It was Kennedy's door.

I followed them inside without saying a word and looked around the dark room as my eyes tried to adjust.

I saw girls sprawled over the couches that filled the left wall. As I looked to my right I saw a table filled with bags of weed.

I now knew why Ethan was so drawn by this gang.

Girls, drugs, a place to feel at home...
It was paradise for the broken.

I walked towards another door where I heard laughter and music.

I opened the door slowly and peaked in through the crack. My eyes were filled smoke and my ears were filled with laughter and loud voices.

"We have two new recruits tonight!"

A loud voice coming from one of the many couches spoke up.

"First we would like to reintroduce a member that's been dealing a lot for us lately in Mexico! Without her our profits would be down! Let's make a round of applause for Lexi!" His voice echoed through the room as applauds steered towards the girl named Lexi.

My eyes turned towards the side of the room where chants began. There stood a light skinned girl with long black hair, fishnet leggings with a skirt hanging low and a pink Floyd crop top barely covering her chest.

She was gorgeous. Her confidence radiated throughout the room and I felt anxious to be close to someone so pretty.

It was almost intimidating.

My thoughts were quickly interrupted with the loud voice from earlier.

"Alright! Moving on we have our first recruit, Jackson!" The voice spoke louder as people chanted and a lengthy and bulk guy stood up and shook the announcers hand.

"And lastly! Shelby!" The voice spoke up and my heart skipped a beat.

I heard chants and looked around the room and saw people doing the same, trying to pick me out from the many people in the room.

I pushed my way through a few people and walked up to the announcer and shook his hand as cheers echoed throughout the room.

I smiled as I let go of his hand and his eyes met mine briefly as he said something under his breath.

"Welcome, Shelby" he said my name in a sinister way that lead shivers down my spine.

I turned around and looked for a place for me to sit.

My eyes met a group of girls sitting on a couch with one extra seat.

I made my way over and sat down next to them smiling as I adjusted my tube top and sat fully back on the couch, making myself comfortable.