Chapter 1 - Hi, I'm Lost.

"Find the place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain." - Joseph Campbell

~*~*~

As eighteen-year-old Naruto Uzumaki strode towards the dorms of Konoha University, he pulled out the map from his pocket and sighed.

When Jiraiya had shown him his late-transfer acceptance letter, Naruto scolding him for going through his post again, but then grinned at the fact that he actually was accepted into such a prestigious school. But unfortunately, his first day was not going well.

His dorm flat wasn't in the main building with the majority of First Years, but instead in a separate building about a ten-minute walk to the edge of the campus. He found this peculiar, of course, but he didn't have any right to complain. He groaned as he paused and spun around and scanned all different directions.

All he could see was the main dorms, as well as a few cafes and a small supermarket. He was pleased about this, of course, because one of the main reasons that he wanted to go to Konoha was because it was a campus, meaning that he didn't really need to leave it in order to survive. He could buy food inside the campus, go to classes inside the campus, and live inside the campus – Naruto didn't really like being outside of his comfort zone.

"You'd think there would be more signs around." He grumbled and glared at the map again, hoping that by staring, he would magically figure out where to go.

In the corner of his eye, he saw a figure walking past him, yelping in surprise he turned and called out. "H-Hey! Sorry, I'm a bit lost..." He rubbed the back of his head.

The man turned around and smiled, he had long black hair and a pale face which wasn't exactly comforting or welcoming, but instead just sent a shiver down Naruto's spine.

The man, who seemed to be a teacher, smiled again and walked forward, plucking the map out of Naruto's hands. "And where do you want to go?" He asked.

"Ah," Naruto racked his brain for a moment to remember the name, "The Shinobi flat."

To his surprise, the man grimaced at Naruto. With a snarl, he dropped the map onto the floor as if it was contaminated with some sort of a disease, and started walking away. His long dark hair flicked behind him.

Naruto was standing, frozen, dumbfounded as he didn't even get a reply. He could have sworn that he heard a hiss, but he must have been imagining it.

He clenched his teeth and yelled after the rude man, "You could have at least given me some directions!" He huffed in irritation, "Useless teacher." This really wasn't a good first day.

"You're looking for the Shinobi flat?"

Naruto gasping and almost jumped out of his skin – now, Naruto would never admit that he squealed like a little girl, but he definitely squealed like a little girl. He slapped a hand on his mouth to prevent the oncoming scream and then exhaled in relief when he saw who spoke.

The boy who appeared out of nowhere was standing in front of him with his eyebrow raised, and arms crossed. He looked to be about Naruto's age, and wore a comfortable and casual t-shirt with jogging bottoms. His hair was slicked up and spikey at the top and his expression made it seem as if he would fall asleep at any moment.

He scowled and put a finger in his eat, "Aaah, it's too early, don't scream, it's too troublesome." He drawled.

Naruto blinked and then composed himself, "It's midday," He challenged, then blushed, "and I didn't scream."

The boy snorted, "Sure you didn't." He turned around and started walking.

When the boy noticed that Naruto was still just standing on the pavement, he paused and raised his eyebrow again. "You want to get to the Shinobi flat, right?" With Naruto's eager nod, the boy waved his hand and motioned for him to follow. "Come on then."