Chapter 4 - Retrace

"In order to learn the most important lessons in life, one must each day surmount a fear." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

~*~*~

Pain. Agony. Humiliation.

These three words could be used to describe the emotions rushing to Naruto's mind at that moment.

He lay in bed; shirtless, one sock on his left foot, the other one bare, wearing nothing else but underwear and embarrassment.

"Fuck." He clutched his aching head and shut his eyes tightly, more memories of the previous night flooded his brain as he covered his face with his hands. "Fuck!"

Naruto sat up quickly, immediately regretting it as his headache worsened from the sudden movement. Could lights be loud? Because he was squinting and the sunlight peeking through the curtain was making him want to yell 'shut up'.

He stood up and briefly forgot about the thumping pain in his head when he saw a small box of painkillers on his desk, with a post-it note on top with EAT ME! scrawled in messy handwriting. love from Ino xx was written under it, Naruto snickered, it was cute. He felt like someone actually cared about him.

That feeling didn't last long because he groaned as another memory reminded him of his antics and behaviour from the previous night.

"Ah, fuck." His cheeks flushed again from embarrassment, he had to go downstairs at some point, but he really didn't want to. Was it possible to delete yourself from existence? He really wanted that.

Naruto's belly grumbled from hunger, he put a hand on his stomach and gently rubbed it absentmindedly. He had to go downstairs, for food if nothing else.

"Okay, in, grab some cereal, out, no talking to anyone." He thought firmly to himself. "Damn it, I wish I could use my power right now."

His telekinetic ability was weird. If he was hungover or ill, it was sometimes weak and he couldn't use it. It was how your cognitive ability felt dampened when you were in a weak mental state. That shit was weird, to be honest.

He huffed and swung his legs over the side of the bed, begrudgingly turning the handle and exhaled as he quickly started walking down the stairs. "Quick", he thought, "gotta be quick".

It would have been great if perhaps it was only the girls downstairs, or maybe Neji, because god knew that Naruto had enough drunk blackmail on the Hyuuga to silence him if he started teasing him.

But, he never really had luck on his side.

"Well, look who it is." Shikamaru drawled, a cheeky glint in his dark eyes which unnerved Naruto enough to stiffen up. "It's Captain Uzumaki."

Naruto was almost afraid to ask.

Shikamaru smirked, "Don't remember, huh?"

"Unfortunately not." Naruto muttered under his breath, moving to speedily grab a bowl and cereal so he could escape.

"Not so fast." Naruto felt a pull on his right leg and he groaned as he found a shadow holding is foot tightly. "I need to embarrass you first." He threw a glance over his shoulder towards the couch. "Right, Sasuke?"

Naruto knew that wasn't good. Oh god, what did he do to Sasuke?

The raven-haired man's head popped out from the side of the couch. "Do you really not remember anything?"

Clearing his throat, he shook his head and tried to unwrap the shadow from his leg, how did Shikamaru have complete control over his ability? Wasn't he hungover? "Nope, and I don't reaaaally want to know-"