Chapter 2 - Rude Awakenings

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran

~*~*~

Naruto winced and ran a hand along his sweaty face as he threw the blanket on the ground. Rolling to his side, he realised that it was still sweltering hot - sighing, he cracked an eye open.

"What the hell?!" Naruto cried in surprise, reeling backwards as his back hit the wall. "Oh shit-"

The curtains next to him were on fire, so he instinctively flicked his wrist and telekinetically ripped it off its hinges, throwing it out of his room, and into the bathroom sink. Yelping, he turned the tap on as he watched the flame die, and only leave ruined curtains.

"Jesus Christ, ugh Deidara!" Naruto groaned. He tossed it into the bin.

There was a snicker from the room next to his, "Heh, sorry! Sasuke likes to electrocute me awake, I can't control what happens!"

Naruto rolled his eyes and glanced at the clock hanging behind him. He cursed and scampered back into his room.

"Boys! We've made pancakes!" There was a shout from the kitchen, downstairs.

With a grin - he had already forgotten about the curtain incident - Naruto pulled on a shirt and trudged downstairs, he jumped when Shikamaru materialised next to him.

The lazy boy frowned, "Why am I on the stairs?"

"I-Uh-" Naruto spluttered, not yet used to Shikamaru's shadow movement, "-I dunno..."

"Tch." Shikamaru rolled his eyes, "It's still the morning, too troublesome to focus where to go." He sighed and sank back into the ground.

Naruto raised his eyebrows and watched him vanish, with a shrug, he continued walking down the stairs. He reached the kitchen, where Neji, Sakura and Ino were already seated, and sat down on the spare chair.

Standing, Sasuke nudged him silently and in response to a questioning look, he placed a mug of coffee in front of the blond.

"T-Thanks." Naruto pathetically said. Sasuke nodded and sat down in his respective seat.

Naruto reached out to hold the cup and jolted back when a spark of electricity hit his fingers. He looked up at Sasuke, who shifted uncomfortably. Knowingly, as it's not always easy to control powers, Naruto smiled and wrapped his fingers around the cup again and drank the coffee. Sasuke relaxed and he tried to cover the little smile playing upon his lips.

Neji leaned forward and laced his hands together, "So, how was your first morning, Naruto?"

Remembering the curtain incident, Naruto shook his head and chuckled, "Nearly burnt to death, so a good start, I think?"

Deidara grinned as he entered the room, "Well it's about to get better," He rubbed his hands together, "Time to taste the girls' cooking." He leaned forward and whispered, "It's not always great."

"Shut up Deidara!" Two chorused voices, Ino and Sakura, yelled.

Shikamaru materialised behind the door's shadow and frowned, "How did you say that at the same time? You guys telepathic too?" Sakura punched his shoulder and he groaned and sat down. "Too hard, Sakura..."

Ino giggled and poured him a cup of coffee. "We all threw out our curtains in the first week, Deidara ruins them all."

Smirking, Deidara licked his finger and placed it on his chest, "Tsssss!" He hissed, "I'm just too hot for you peasants!"