I Can Be.

The tension in the air was thick and uncomfortable.

Imani's eyes refused to meet her fiance's gaze that had been staring a hole into her back since she stepped out of the shower. He had scared her when she spotted him undoing his tie near the bed, barely even speaking a word to him.

What was there to say?

Instead of making an unnecessary attempt at conversation, she sat in front of her vanity and started her nightly routine. With her detangling brush in one hand, she started brushing her hair, feeling Jayden move about around their bedroom. She hated that he was here.

He had made it a routine of coming home late but now all of a sudden he was home right after he was done with work? It was bullshit but Imani had a feeling of what changed.

He no longer needed to hide.

"So we're not speaking now?" His gruff voice suddenly asked, causing her eyes to finally meet his as he stood behind her with his shirt now unbuttoned, exposing his muscled chest.

"I have nothing to say," Imani shrugged, putting down her brush and picking up her favorite scented lotion.

"You're going to be my wife soon Imani, communication is needed in every relationship," He informed her, almost causing Imani to roll her eyes. This muthafu-

"Work is fine. I'm fine. There, happy?" She answers, giving him an annoyed look before applying lotion along her legs.

His deep chuckle sent a chill down her spine because it was so sinister sounding. "Fix that attitude and address me correctly. You know better," He warns, placing one of his hands on her shoulder. "You know the role you're playing here don't you?"

Glancing his hand on her shoulder, then towards his dark eyes, Imani shrugged his hand off of her. "Yes, the one of your fiance. The one you proposed to. The one you're willing to say I do to under the watchful gaze of God but clearly, I'm not the only one you seek,"

The grin on his handsome face only seemed to grow at her words, not at all fazed by what she said. "As long as you know your place, Imani. Faithe is none of your concern. Do what is expected of you and everything will be fine. If not...you know I'm always willing to make another example out of you,"

The hate Imani had for Jayden only seemed to grow the more he talked, irking her brain even more. "You're right, it isn't my business but the next time you think about having your mistress in my bed, I'll put a bullet in her head and into her stomach as she carries your unborn child," She threatened, feeling an intense sting to her cheek as her head snapped back from his slap to her face a few seconds later.

With watery eyes, Imani held her left cheek as she stared up at him with hatred. "Watch yourself, Imani. That reckless mouth of yours will cost you problems, especially speaking on my seed. I'll warn you once, keep your fuckin mouth shut,"

"Or what?! You can't hurt me Jayden, yo daddy will kil-"

"No, bitch, I'll kill you," He cut in with that evil tone and look upon his face. "My dad doesn't run shit around here, I do and it's best you learn that," The grip he had on her arm tightened, causing her to wince.

"Negro, please! If you had any say, you'd be marrying Faithe, not me," Imani retorted back, flinching when he raised his free hand again only to caress her heated skin.

"Don't get it twisted Imani, I want you...I mean look at you," He acknowledged, looking her over as he admired her beauty. "You know how many men out there that want you? But they can never have you because you belong to me and once I'm done with you...nobody will want you, I can promise you that,"