10. Arthur's try

Merlin's POV

"The past month have been hell. Literally.

My feelings for the king will never go over. I've realized that.

I managed to keep it down, tell myself he's an asshole and pretend I never even liked him.

Then he had to get nicer! He stopped throwing things, stopped insulting me. Of course he had to get under some spell and fall in love with me!

Do you know how much it hurts when the person you're in love with is fake-in love with you?! Morgana's torture was lighter on my heart!

Then he legalized magic and gayness. And I can actually be with him.

And he asked me how to get this guy he likes to like him...

I have my chance. He's even into guys... but he's already into someone.

I ended up telling him all the daydreams I've had of the two of us, without telling it's him, lucky me, but still... it hurts so... bad..."

I was full on crying now. And to Mordred of all people.

"Merlin..." he hugged me. He tried to shush my sobs, but they only worsened. "Merlin! You're Emrys for gods sake! You're the most powerful magician to ever live. And here you are, weeping over your crush like a teenage girl!"

I laughed, "Not my fault..."

"True..." he hugged me again. "You know, you've told me you like this guy, nit that it was Arthur."

"Heh... I guess not..."

Gwaine came over to us.

"Merlin? Are you okay?" He seemed unsure.

"Yeah... it's just silly. Don't worry. Was there anything?" I shoved off my own stuff. Maybe focusing on other things will help?

"Arthur gave me this list of things you have to do before dinner..." Gwaine hesitantly gave me the list.

It was long. "What the fuck?" I looked at it. Mordred gave the same reaction when he saw it better.

"What have I done to get on his bad side?" I asked jokingly. "Damn... I have to get going. Thanks, Mordred..."

"Anytime." He smiled.

Okay... what's even on this list?

Dung out of the stable

Wash the horses

Polish the saddles

Clean the stable

Organize the stable

Clean the kitchen

Organize the kitchen

Bathe yourself, you smell

You can use magic, I told them you have it (hope it was okay) so you don't have to hide.

Well, at least, with magic, it won't take four days to do it.

I was finished right before dinner, actually. Well planned, Arthur.

I got to the kitchen to get his dinner, when the chief said someone already brought it to him.

I, of course, went to his chamber to check this out. Who else would've brought Arthur his dinner?

I knocked on his door.

"Merlin?" He asked.

"Yeah"

I was about to open when he yelled "NO! Wait one second!"

"O...okay?" I stood there for five minutes I think, hearing Arthur doing whatever it is he's doing, till he finally said I could come in.

I opened the door to see...

Flowers. Everywhere. Lit candles, food, and a very nervous Arthur standing in the middle.

I gasped. "Is this for the guy you like?" I asked. "This is amazing, Arthur!"

"You think?" He looked so nervous. I have to cheer him up! He can do this!"

"Yeah! I mean, look at this!" I gestured to the whole room. "He's going to love it!"

"do you love it?" He asked quietly.

"Well, duh." I smiled. "of course!"

Suddenly, Arthur was right beside me without me noticing. I'd been too busy looking at everything.

He took my hands and looked at me.

"It's for you..." He whispered. "I'm in love with you, Merlin..."

The whole world stopped right there.

"What?" I whispered back.

"I... I love you... Merlin..." He looked so fragile right there. So afraid of my reaction.

"Arthur..." I had no idea what to say.

"I know you might not feel the same... but can we please continue as friends?" he asked, he turned away, just as I saw a tear roll down his cheek.

I turned him around quickly and kissed him.

It wasn't sparkles as some say. Nor magic.

It was warm. And safe.

And how loved you felt when he kissed back.

Safe, wanted, loved.

"Do you have any idea how hurtful it was thinking you asked me how to impress someone else?" I whispered once we broke apart.

"You... you...-"

"Yes." I smiled. "I love you too."