Chapter 28: How Could You Let This Happen?

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Rose's POV

The eerie silence of the room was disturbed by the  rapid beeping of the heart monitor. My eyes opened slowly, I winced at the blinding shade of white that the walls had been painted. My body was sore and aching. My throat in particular was dry and completely parched. About 10 nurses ran into the room and checked me over disconnecting wires and various pieces of apparatus. One of the nurses passed me a cup of water with a clear plastic straw in it. The nurse held it to my lips and I took several small sips, enjoying the refreshing, cold water on my parched lips and throat.

"Noah." I croaked out, a murmur broke out amongst the nurses. "Clarisse. Rosaline." I sputtered. The murmur silenced and I couldn't help the fear and anxiety that began to creep up my throat. At that moment Noah rushed into the room with Rosa in his arms. Noah had a black Armani suit on with a red silk tie. His hair messily organised on his head, his eyes red and cheeks tears stained. Rosa had a black dress on with red eyes and again tear stained cheeks. Rosa wriggled her way out of her fathers arms and over to me. I sat up, pain shooting through my body and Rosa jumped on my legs hugging me tightly. She sobbed loudly in my arms.

"Rose, il mio amore. . ." Noah started, I cut him off.

"Where is Clarisse? And why had Rosa been crying?"

"Today was Clari's funeral." Rosa choked out in-between sobs. Tears sprang to my eyes. No! It cant be true. No. . . No . . . No. How could this happen? I looked over at Noah who hung his head low to hide the fact that he was crying. I let out an audible sob and held onto Rosa for dear life. Noah came closer to me and pulled both me and Rosa into his arms. We should have never come to Sicily, I should have stayed back in New York with dad. I lost my baby girl. Clarisse.

"How?" I asked quietly and Noah shook his head and said quietly.

"Not in front of Rosaline." I nodded tears still streaking down my face. I looked over at the door and saw dad. He looked over at me and pulled Rosaline away with Noah and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Dad." I sobbed quietly. He hugged me tighter.

"Rose, sweetie calm down. You need to breathe." I took a couple of deep breaths and pulled away with dad.  Dad picked up a sobbing Rosaline from the room.

"What happened?" Tears still flooded from my eyes.

"The nanny poisoned her. She came into the office at 10:07 on the dot and said she didn't feel well and I went to go take her down to the infirmary when she started foaming at the mouth and wasn't breathing. I tried everything Rose believe me, I tried CPR and mouth to mouth. I ran with her to the infirmary and they tried to resuscitate her but nothing worked." Tears ran down his face as they did mine, he hugged me tightly as I continuously sobbed.

"Did you find the nanny?" He shook his head and I grasped him tightly. "I want you to find her and I want to kill her." He nodded his head. "I want to go to Clarisse's grave Noah." He shook his head no.

"Wait until you recover then I will take you." I nodded. Noah climbed into the bed next to me and wrapped his arm around me and held me as I cried myself to sleep.

Slowly over a month I had been rehabilitated and I was finally able to sleep in my own room. Nothing was the same without Clarisse, Rosa had become depressed and I couldn't blame her, her twin sister was dead. She felt guilty but no-one felt as guilty Noah. I had never blamed him and had tried to help him but couldn't. Today was the day that I was going to Clarisse's grave, and I am not prepared at all.

"Are you ready il mio amore." {My love}

"Yeah."

...