Two

THE RAION

Children of the Nekoka Book One

TWO

Principal Kuroda’s office was quite luxurious and maybe even a bit overdone. The room had a very stiff formal feel.   It was fairly obvious that the he had a taste for the finer things in life. The principle was fidgety as if slightly nervous. He  seemed to be going above and beyond to show respect to Akio. He kept using sonkeigo when talking to him and he wouldn’t stop bowing. It made the atmosphere rather awkward.  Akio could help but find it odd that the principle of one of the most prestigious schools in japan was showing a high school student so much deference.  

         “Please have a seat, Raion-sama.” said the Principal as he bowed once again and gestured toward a set of sofas,  but was then interrupted by a soft gentle knock on the door.    “Ah. Well Good. That must be your sparring partner from the Karate Club, Kato-san,” They remained standing as he called for the person to enter. A boy in the Sapporo High School Uniform walked in through the door.  He was fairly slim and a little taller than the average height for an older human teenager.  Still he was quite a bit smaller than Akio. He had short shaggy black hair that came down covering a pair thick black glasses  so Akio couldn’t see much of his face.

“Principle Kuroda, your secretary  said you asked for me.” Stated the boy as he greeted them with a bow.

“Yes, Kato-san, this is Raion Akio, he is one of our Nekoka student and will be joining the Karate club with you. Raion-sama this is Kato Jun your new sparring partner” said the Principal

“Yes of course, it is nice to meet you Raion-san.” said Jun who notably kept to polite language only.

“Like wise Kato-san.” Said Akio.  He bowed formally as he wondered if someone as small as Jun could actually handle him in karate.

“Well, gentlemen let’s take a seat, we have a few things we need to discuss.”  said the principal and the all sat down on the two sofas that were arranged across from each other with Jun and Akio sitting next to each other on one and the Principal on the other side. They awkwardly sat silently for a moment before he cleared his throat and continued.

“First, Raion-sama, I want to assure you that Kato Jun will make a great partner.  He is an excellent student and is very well liked by everyone here. I believe you will be able to get along well. He also has recently received the rank of Master, and is a licensed instructor with the title of Renshi.  He is currently the only high-school student in Sapporo to have a fifth degree black belt. We are very proud of him completing such an shining accomplishment.   We believe he will be more than enough to challenge you.” said the principal confidently. Jun’s face flushed slightly at being openly complimented.  It was definitely a prestigious accomplishment for anyone and practically unheard of for a high school-er.  Akio couldn’t deny that it was impressive but still planned on holding out judgment until they actually competed with one another. There was also the fact that he might be a Sentaa spy to contend with.

“Your words are too kind, I merely have had the benefit of an excellent sensei, I would not be where I am without him.” said Jun shyly.  Akio looked at Jun and noted that his words were genuinely humble, which was surprising.  The rank of master at a Jun’s age would give anyone the right to at least a little arrogance.  His humility actually gave credibility to him being a genuine master. Akio smiled and realized he was beginning to look forward to their first match. He spoke up to Jun.

“Congratulation Kato-san, that is truly remarkable.  I’m sure there is much I can learn from you.  I look forward to sparring with you. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.” said Akio as he gave him a low nod.