Four

The Raion

Children of the Nekoka

FOUR

Akio stuck close to Jun taking a spot next to him in the back. Jun pointed out the Captain and different people for him as they waited for the club meeting to start.  Eventually The Captain called everyone to order and began the warm up. Akio hadn’t been in a traditional training session for karate in a few years as he mostly worked one on one with a master, but he had never forgotten the rote practice moves that were common in just about any karate class. He allowed his mind to empty as he focused on the moves.  He centered himself, finding the peace that he only ever found in karate.  After the warm up the club broke into groups.  The dojo was large and had seven sparring circles. One bigger circle in the middle with six medium size circles around it.  The captain came over to Akio an Jun as others started sparring.  

“Glad you could join us again Master Kato”

“Please Captain, Kato is fine, I’m not here as an instructor, you don’t have to call me by rank.” Said Jun clearly embarrassed his face coloring again.

“Your are the senior ranking member in the club. You’ve earned the rank of Godan, you’ve even been awarded the title of Renshi and did it all without letting anyone know.  You surprised us all,  you have to know it would be dishonorable if I did not respect that.” replied the Captain seriously. Jun just nodded but Akio could tell he didn’t want to agree.

“And you must be our newest recruit Raion Akio, I am Ishii Noboru.” said Captain Ishii bowing to Akio.  His tone was clipped, and resounded with irritation.  Akio mused over the fact that his acceptance had probably been forced upon the captain.

“Yes Captain, thank you for allowing me to join.” replied Akio politely anyway with a bow.

“It’s nice to have one of the Nekoka here Raion-kun, I hear that your skill may revival our own Renshi here.  Master Kato, is also new here, but his skills are already greatly respected.  I’m sure you’ll find him to be a challenge.  I am looking forward to watching you spar together.  Please use the center ring, hope you don’t mind if I watch.” said Captain Ishii.  He was clearly not actually happy to Akio there.  He was eyeing Akio’s black belt with suspicion.  Akio could hear the doubt in his voice and smiled.  

“Of course not Captain.” he replied.  He faced this every time he worked with a new instructor.  The captain probably thought he was just some tough guy punk who relied on his strength to get by.  Karate was so much than that.  Karate didn’t require a person to be big or strong to master it.  True skill required inner peace, balance and discipline.  Your success was directly translated from the effort you put in.  In short it took pure honest hard work.   If someone managed to have talent on top of all that they probably would turn out something like Jun.  A peaceful gentle soul with a reserve steel just beneath the surface that no one knew about.  Akio was glad he had worked with Jun this morning.  It was already helping him get a feel for Jun’s form.  He was the most relaxed he had been in days.  He felt good, ready to spar.  Not one to stand upon ceremony he gestured for Jun to lead the way.

“Sorry they seem to want to make a spectacle of you.” Said Jun nervously as they walked into the center circle

“I expected it. If I were in their place I would do the same. Don’t concern yourself, I am not offended.” Said Akio as he smiled. Jun nodded back seeming relieved. Akio wondered how this was going to work, Jun was just too nice. He was probably going to try to go easy on Akio.  If he was going to prove himself and find a place here he would have to make Jun go all out.  Jun had already stepped to the center of the ring. He was eyeing Akio carefully as if trying to get a read on him.