Carry Me Home

June 2009

Alex awoke to the sound of his alarm, the noise piercing into his dreams and pulling him into reality. He groaned and reached over to set the damn thing off, sending his room back into silence. He laid back on his bed, running a hand through his hair as his dream came back to him. It was a dream he’d gotten used to as of late, the same dream again and again, of the same person. A person with raven black hair who was holding tight onto Alex’s hand as they ran, ran from something unseen. Alex tried to shake the memory of the dream but it clang to him like the cold sweat on his brow. Deciding he has to get up anyway he heads for the shower, trying to put the raven haired boy out of his mind.

Once showered, dressed and with a stomach full of toast and coffee Alex was in the car driving towards his friend Zack’s house. They had band practise, well they went exactly a band just him, Zack and a kid called Rian, Alex never thought they were that good but he enjoyed it even if it did get him out of bed before noon on a weekend.

“Hey Alex, how’s it going?” Zack greeted, opening the front door to the older boy.

“Not bad, why are we doing this so early again?” Alex asked, as Zack lead him down the basement. The only place in the house Zack’s parents had allowed them to practise.

“We’ve got a gig, remember?”

“Oh yeah... What is that girl... Hmm Lisa’s birthday?”

“Yeah that’s it”

Taking his guitar and doing his best to get into tune Alex took his place in the middle, with Zack on his left and Rian behind, no body to his right.

“Ready?” Rian called.

“Yeah!”

“One... One, two, three” Rian hit his symbol and the song began. Even with crappy little amps and numb fingers they managed to get out a few Blink covers, they hadn’t got anything original yet.

“You okay Alex?” Rian asked after the fifth song.

“Yeah, why?”

“You keep looking to the right, like something’s distracting you”

“Am I? Oh...” Alex knew he kept looking, it just felt like there was someone there, or maybe that someone should be there...

“Have we ever thought about getting another guitarist?” Alex asked.

“No, why do you think we need one?” Rian asked.

“I don’t know, it just doesn’t feel right” Alex admitted.

“Maybe we’ll look about getting one, after this gig” Zack said.

They continued practising for a few more hours, chucking in a few Green Day and a Jimmy Eat World cover just to mix it up a bit. Alex was still distracted, it was like there was something in the corner of his eye that he couldn’t quite see but knew was there.

After packing the van with all their instruments, which was like a game of tetris and lots of arguments between Rian and Alex the band was finally ready to go. With Zack driving, Alex in passenger and Rian squished in the back, Alex just stared out of the window trying to put off any preshow nervous when something catches his eye again, a person out the window with raven coloured hair. When Zack asked Alex why he was shaking Alex just said nerves, he couldn’t say that he thought the boy from his dream was following him...