Chapter Three

Zillah and I basically broke our door down as we got back home. Her shoulder was bleeding profusely and when we got inside I sat her down on our couch. "Underneath my bed, I have my bag full of herbs, bring it to me please," she winced as she spoke. I did as she said and was back in an instant. Zillah pulled out different herbs, pressed them against her shoulder, and screamed in pain. The herbs were healing her wound with ease, yet I drew back with my face scrunched up. "What the hell was that," I breathed out heavily, looking to the left in my thoughts. "How the fuck do werewolves exist, and why the fuck are they bothering us?" I questioned, furiously. 

     "Well to be fair, I told you going into that damned cave was a bad idea," I shot my glance towards her and squinted. "I'm being serious," I said. She raised her eyebrows, "so am I?" she replied. "We have to tell Grammy, we just got here and we already have big problems on our plate." I shook my head as I fished in my pocket for my phone. I swiped through a couple of things before bringing the phone to my ear. 

     After a couple of rings, Grammy picked up her phone, "god damn it," she yelled, "I told you guys to stop calling me, I don't want your damn insurance-" I didn't let her finish before speaking in my stern tone. "Grammy, it's me, Ezzy." She stopped in her tracks and her tone softened. "oh sorry Ezzy dear, I thought you were those damned people calling about insurance, I can't seem to get a break." I wanted to laugh but the situation at hand was far too grave. I put her on speaker as I spoke the next few words. 

     "Grammy, today we found out that werewolves exist, and to top it off, they want to kill us for entering their territory." The other end was silent for a couple of seconds but before I could reiterate what I had said, Grammy walked into our apartment through our pantry door. I tossed the phone on the couch and Zi and I went up to hug Grammy. She was dressed in her usual tribal-looking attire and black and gray curls sat perfectly perched on top of her head. We both sighed into her body and for once since the fight, I could feel my body become looser. We stepped back as Grammy started to speak, "I have a lot to tell you girls, and not everything I say will keep your minds at ease," she frowned and gestured toward the couch and we all sat down. 

     Before she started she took a second to think of how to let it out. She sighed out and spoke. "Werewolves, witches, and vampires have co-existed on this earth for centuries. Both of you have had multiple encounters with them, but the reason you're only finding out now is because I have masked your scents for decades. To others of supernatural power, you two are ordinary humans. As to why they have been able to smell you today, I am unaware." As Grammy was revealing this knowledge, a pit of betrayal started to grow in my stomach and as for Zillah, she looked as if she could throw up. Not only had Grammy kept this a secret but my parents went to the grave with it. Many thoughts kept swirling through my mind as Grammy continued, "I will put up a spell that hides your living quarters from any special being, but you two will need to wear these until I can figure how they have pushed past my spell and tracked you down."

      Grammy pushed necklaces into both of our hands. They felt light but had two cotton-bound bags strung at the bottom of them. We both put them on and I stood up and paced in front of them as I tried to gather my thoughts. I ran my hands through my hair as I tried to calm my mind. "Ezra, I need you to sit down, I am not finished." Grammy's tone was tough that I could tell what she was about to say was far worse than what she had previously expressed. 

     I did as she said and Grammy took in a deep breath, "Ezra, I have known your parents since before they were supernatural beings," my eyes shot open to this news, before they were vampires? "I met your mother when she was traveling through South America, and your father when he first arrived in America. Your mother was merely 20 years old and full of curiosity. When she was in South America she heard of news in America that intrigued her interest, so with my help, we came here and looked for somewhere to start her life. Your mother and I met your father as he was deboarding a ship and they instantly hit it off. For some reason though, I could tell something about your father was different. He smelt of dog to me and some of his mannerisms were those of an uncivilized human." 

     I could hear my heartbeat in my ear at this point, my vision started to get cloudy but she continued, "Ezra. Your father was born a werewolf but left that life in search of something normal. Your mother was turned into a vampire not long after they met due to an unfortunate accident that was caused by him not sharing this knowledge. For decades your parents and I tried to find a cure so that they could have you and live normal, happy lives. But after so long of looking, they figured they would take the risk and somehow preserve their secrets for as long as they could. When they had you, we didn't know what would come about but when you were born, the vampire traits were most prominent so we pushed the thought of you carrying the werewolf gene to the back of our minds." 

     Grammy stopped what she was saying and looked at me right in my eyes, "when you were about to turn sixteen years old, you had your first shift. Your father was the only one to see it happen so he guided you through the process and later told me and your mother about what happened. After we did our research I found something that could wipe that memory from your head and keep your inner wolf at bay. The bracelet that was bestowed to you on your sixteenth birthday." When she said this, I instinctively looked down at my wrist. I had worn this bracelet for as long as I could remember but now all I could think of is how it felt as if it was on fire. 

     I wanted to get up and run. I wanted to scream and kill everything in my sight. My parents and Grammy had lied to me my whole life. Thoughts swirled through my head as I shot my glance towards Grammy. "You all have been lying to me my whole life. Why? Why couldn't you just tell me?!" I shouted. Tears threatened to spill as the words left my lips and Grammy just sighed. "Ezzy baby, the reason you two moved her was to live normals lives, and that was the exact reason I promised your parents I would keep their secret." She frowned. "I know this is all so sudden bu-" before she could finish I booked it out of the door. I heard Grammy calling for me as I ran as fast and as far as my legs could take me, tears pouring down my face. My heart rate was fast enough to have a heartache and my throat burned with heat. 

     I slowed my pace when I felt I was deep enough into the forest. I looked at my wrist and glared at the bracelet that kept so many secrets from me. I loosened it a bit and threw it onto the ground. As soon as I did, my body was set on fire. A voice in my head seemed to have awoken as I heard bones start to break. I screamed at the harsh twist and turns of my body and as the pain grew worse I lost consciousness.