ONE

hold on - bishop briggs

CORDELIA BREATHED IN, hands grasped onto the edges of the saddle. She looked at the tall animal in front of her, debating whether to use the aid of the mounting block, her impatience beating the former suggestion into simply pulled herself up onto the back of the horse. The mare stood happily as the shorter girl got comfortable in her seat, slipping her feet into the stirrups with a last glance into the office where all the paperwork sat, waiting for her attention.

It could wait. The blonde had reached the limit of small print that she could handle, having to analyse every piece of writing for a clause that may tie her into a situation.

For a moment, it was as though the mare knew Cordelia's feelings, a soft drilling of her lips echoing between the trees before the two of them took a start to their journey.

The small yard was long behind in a few seconds as the horse led her to the end of the deserted street in Barcelona's deficit of countryside. Left would be towards the small beach in her town, and the young girl briefly considered how nice a canter along the sand would be in the sunrise. Her legs took her right, knowing that the beach would mean civilisation. To the right was nothing but grass, trees and imminent clarity - the only things she wholeheartedly wanted to immerse herself into.

Feet digging gently into the animal's side, Cordelia brought the horse to a quicker pace, pushing her feet into the stirrups as they began the winding course into the forest.

Shadows casting on the ground from the sunrise behind were her only company other than the horse she rode. Had she not been accustomed to this ride, the shapes they created may have spooked her. An angry face. A dog-like creature. A figure that so closely reflected the grim reaper that she had to heighten the horses speed further so that the shadow twisted and turned into something friendly.

As they rode in a canter along the flat path, the mare - Lady - rising to every challenge in the twists and turns of the rode, the sun rose further until it was at a certain forty-five degree angle. It conveyed a slight warmth, but the morning air was still full of wind, wishing her hair into her face. She resonated with the animal that sounded in the distance in a reaction to the breeze.

Lady seemed unfazed, hooves picking up in that three count rhythm which felt so smooth under Cordelia's body. They approached the next bend, this more winding than the others, the wind rushing through their ears encouraging them on. But as they whipped around the corner, the engine of a car shot by, doing way more than the thirty miles an hour speed limit, inevitably causing the mare to rear in shock and terror.

Cordelia cursed loudly, struggling to calm the animal from where she sat above.

The engine to the car had either disappeared or stopped, but the young girl didn't care to look as she focused on steadying her horse. It was a useless effort. Lady bucked and reared and flailed around until her rider was clinging on for dear life around the mare's neck; bum barely on the saddle and feet no longer in the saddle.