FOURTEEN

among other foolish things - brian fallon

"We have to stop meeting like this." Cordelia's joked about the man's presence behind her as she moved throughout the yard. She was reminiscent of the last time that the Argentinian showed up at her place, and the kiss they shared in the pouring rain.

Turning around to face him, leaving the saddle she was carrying on the stand, she could tell that whatever he had come here for wasn't quite as joyous as last time. Leo wore a sheepish look, one that she had seen many times throughout her life when someone was about to let her down or terrify her with news.

Deep down she prayed this wasn't him arriving to tell her that they can't do this, that whatever they had needed to be nipped in the bud to avoid complications down the road. On the one hand, that outcome may stop any hurt or difficulties that we're going to be caused along the line, but a part of Cordelia didn't care for whatever may happen as she was truly invested in the footballer and his life.

Leo's features softened when he noticed the panicked look that crossed the twenty-one year old's face.

"I just wanted to warn you," the man started up, his tone telling that he was unsure of whether to say what he was about to, unsure whether it was his place to say or not "Geri's thinking about tricking you into seeing your family."

That was the one thing she was scared of with her cousin, and it appeared that her worst nightmare was becoming true. She wasn't ready for that, she thought, she wasn't ready to have to grovel and apologise, and be called names for protecting herself.

Cordelia's heart seemed to forget how to beat properly, suddenly becoming erratic and jagged. Her face paled at such a thought and the young girl found it hard to stand, having to sit down on one of the dining table chairs to avoid her panic washing away her ability to balance. It was an overwhelming feeling, white noise suddenly rushing to her ears, so that all she could hear was the reverb of that statement and the beating of her heart.

Geri's thinking about tricking you into seeing your family.

One simple sentence was able to ignite so much fear inside of her. Not because she was scared of the people involved, but because she wasn't ready. She wasn't ready to have to face the past and the events that happened a little over a year ago. She wasn't ready to face that feeling of anxiety she felt whenever she saw her uncle's face, or her aunt's sympathetic smile. Most of all, she wasn't ready to see the person who she had once thought she was closest to, she wasn't ready to see him and remember the night they argued.

Perhaps it was unfair to blame this all on Cèsar - she was involved in it too, but nothing she had said could compare to the hurt he caused from one simple statement.