three

LAINEY WAS RUNNING FASTER THAN EVER. Jumping over trashcans, rubbing and pushing past people who would look back at her as if she was crazy. She began slowing down when her breath was getting heavier to the point where she thought she was going to fall down on the sidewalk. Plus, there was no need to run anymore, the guys had probably ran after Billy instead.

"Where were you for the past 30 minutes?" Victoria shrieked, standing right at the doorway of the house. Lainey had also just realized she reached home, but she couldn't answer the question from panting so violently.

"I-I was-was getting chased-chased," the brunette said between her breath. Victoria rolled her eyes and ushered her foster daughter inside the house, shutting and locking the door behind them.

"You think I would believe that silly story?" That was no silly story, but Lainey was way too tired to argue. So instead of standing there doing nothing, she walked upstairs to her room and took a nap like every person would do after running down the street like an Olympian.

Twenty minutes had gone by and Lainey's eyes slowly opened. She sighed and got up, rubbing her tired eyes, "Damn, I needed that nap." The brunette exited her room and entered the kitchen for a light snack. Instead of grabbing a snack, Lainey was greeted with a yellow sticky note on the fridge...

Lainey,
I had to go see your aunt at the hospital, I'll be back in two hours. Remember to eat something for dinner and do your homework.
Don't even think about going outside and getting into trouble.
    Love, Victoria.

Lainey ripped the note off the fridge and threw it away. "Eat something for dinner", Lainey didn't even know how to make macaroni and cheese without burning herself! Instead of eating something, she walked back to her room to grab some clothes and her towel before heading to the shower. She turned on the water of the shower, undressed and hopped into the warm water.

The brunette's muscles began to relax and she finally calmed herself down. The warm water was enough to calm her down. As the water poured down from the shower head, she felt as if she wasn't alone in the house; the noise downstairs bothered her...

...CRASH...

"Okay," Lainey said, oddly calm, "that wasn't supposed to happen..." It was the sound of something crashing onto the floor. Like a door. That's when Lainey actually realized what was going on, someone was in her house, "oh, well shit."

Okay, so someone is most likely in my house and I CAN die today, but if....if I use my brain for once and figure out how to get out of here without making any noise...

She didn't know what to do, the shower was still running and the brunette was soaking wet. Lainey turned the water off and stepped out of the shower, wrapping herself in a towel and rushing to dry herself. But she heard even more noise from downstairs and the brunette barley even put on her clothes. That only left her with one option; run downstairs with a towel around her...

Lainey wrapped the towel around herself and charged out the bathroom, running down the stairs...

"Oh, shit. Billy hide!"

She furrowed her eyebrows and grabbed a nearby pot, "Who are you and why the hell are you in my house?" the teenage girl called out, one hand holding the towel around her and the other holding the pot.

"Okay! I'm sorry we broke into your house!" Lainey looked up at the tall man in front of her who was wearing a superhero costume. She dropped the pot as her jaw almost hit the floor.

Lainey looked beside the man and almost dropped her towel, "FREDDY?!" she yelled in both anger and confusion, "Why are you in my house with a 20-something year old man wearing a superhero costume?"

Freddy chuckled awkwardly and scratched the back of his head, "I'll explain everything. Just put on some clothes first," he said, covering his eyes.

"You better explain everything. And I mean EVERYTHING, Freeman!"

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

"So you're telling me...that 20-year-old man who's walking right beside you is Billy?" Lainey asked the Freeman boy, eyeing him up and down suspiciously as they walked down the street.

"I know it sounds crazy," the disabled boy said, "but it really is him. He was the one who stole my bullet! And he has freaking superpowers! Superpowers!" At that point, Lainey thought she was going crazy, or at least Freddy was. She looked up at the buff man that is supposedly Billy with an expression of confusion.

The brunette narrowed her eyes at him, "If you're Billy then...what was one thing you did today at school?" she asked him, stopping them both from walking farther down the street.

"Seriously? I'm pretty sure you already know who I am, do you have a problem or something–" Lainey cut Billy off right away.

"Answer the goddamn question if you're really Billy."

He sighed but proceeded to answer the girl's question, "I helped you out with the bullies..."

"Okay," Lainey nodded and continued to walk, "he's Billy."

Freddy caught up to her and handed her some candy, "We got those at the convenience store, also Billy fought some guys with guns there and now we know he's bulletproof!"

Lainey looked at Freddy as if he had gone mad, "Did you happen to find a stash of drugs and smoke them all while you were there? 'Cause it seems like you're either high or really have gone crazy."

"Funny joke. But I'm serious; Billy's a superhero!"

The brunette turned around and stared right at the Batson boy again, "I think we should take him to your house. Does your family know what happened to him?"

"Pffft, no. And they never will." Freddy said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well, we have to go to your house now so...I guess we're going."

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]
I know this took a while but it was hard to come up with ideas for this book. Chapter 4 will be published sooner, I promise!

For now, I'm glad you guys are enjoying this book!

Love, RIV