eight

HOW COULD SHE HAVE DONE? How could she just leave him like that? He seemed so sad and ashamed. Her brain was telling her she did the right thing but her heart disagreed. She growled under her breath as she held the wooden pencil tight in her hand. She felt terrible but yet, at the same time, felt better.

Instead of scolding herself, Lainey tried to think that what she did was right. She tried to think that maybe Billy and Freddy weren't the right people for her after all. The brunette resorted to being alone. Although she missed having people to be around, Lainey knew what was best for her; or so she thought.

Her days were spent either at home or school. Lainey didn't care much about school but still did her work. She ignored Freddy as much as possible and if she bumped into him she'd walk away. Billy wasn't at school often. In fact, he barely was at school. Lainey didn't care though, it made it easier to ignore the two.

"Ms. Willow?" Lainey's head shot up from her work to the teacher standing over her. "Is there something wrong?" The teacher asked.

"Uh...no, Mr. Jackson." replied Lainey.

He sighed and nodded his before turning around, walking back to his desk. Lainey looked back down at her work but noticed that her grip on her pencil was so hard that her knuckles had grown white. Her lips made the shape of an "o" before she let go of the pencil completely. For the rest of her class, Lainey just stared off into the distance.

After class was lunch. Lainey had immediately ran off to her locker to put her things away so she could grab an empty table for herself.

She closed her locker and proceeded to walk to the cafeteria.

"Lainey!" Someone yelled after her. The brunette immediately recognized the voice. It was Freddy. She didn't stop. She just kept walking. "Lainey!" he yelled again. She rolled her eyes but this time he grabbed her hand.

"What do you want?" Lainey spat, turning on her heels to face Freddy.

"Lainey, please just listen to me! Billy and I are sorry!" he begged, still holding tightly onto the brunette's hand.

"So what you're sorry? That's not my point, Freddy. The point is if you fixed your mistake or not." she stated, pulling her hand away from Freddy's.

"Please forgive us! We need you to listen to us, Lainey!" Freddy begged once more.

"Fine! Fine! I forgive you and Billy. Is that all you wanted from me?"

"No," Freddy began, "Billy told me to ask you to come over to our house. He needs to show you something that he thinks will help you."

"What is it then?"

"I can't tell you, you have to come over and see it for yourself." Freddy smirked.

Although Lainey didn't want to smile, that smirk Freddy happened to always make her do so. "Okay...I guess I will."

"Yes!"

★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★

Lainey never thought she'd be back at Freddy's house again. It was weird to be back. The argument she and Billy had kind of made it awkward so Lainey tried her best to avoid him. She knocked on the Freeman's door, waiting for someone to open it. She heard footsteps nearing the door from the other side. That made a small chuckle escape her lips.

The door swung open, "Hey, Lainey!" A panting Darla said, trying to catch her breath.

"Hi, Darla. Is Billy home?" she greeted the little girl in front of her.