Episode 49: Linger

Episode 49: L i n g e r

I groaned, stretching out my sore body. The first thing I felt was the incessant pounding, throbbing inside my head. The second thing was V's arms wrapped around my bare waist and my legs tangled with his under the covers.

For a minute, I thought I was dreaming. And in the next minute, taking a moment for my eyes to readjust--which was easy given the minimal lighting in the room--I finally realized this wasn't a goddamn nightmare.

This was real.

"Oh my god." I wheezed out in a low voice and covered my mouth, staring back at his calm, sleeping face. I think I just laid there, frozen for a few seconds as I tried to figure out what the hell I was going to do. There's no way I wanted to wake him up. After everything that happened, I don't know if I'd be able to face him without combusting on sight. And the last thing I wanted was chunks of my combusted self littering his walls. He'd probably curse my soul for damaging his dark interior.

There it was. My wonderful shirt. Just a few inches away from the bed and resting on the polished wooden floor. I was successfully able to detangle my legs from V's without stirring him awake, but the real issue at hand was, indeed, with his hand. How was I suppose to lug it off me without waking him up?

And then that's when a thought simply occurred to me.

I was a Nephilim. And I had powers. Honestly, I didn't know if telekinesis was in the package, but it never hurt to try.

Deep in concentration mode, I glared at the shirt, forcing it to slide forward. To my unfortunate surprise, that didn't work.

"Let's try again, Hanul. Don't give up." I whispered to myself, with a small optimistic curled fist against my chest, and squinted at the cloth again. I gasped.

Slowly, I watched it slide over my way, effortlessly. In fact, I felt like this was too easy for my first shot at this power. Strange.

This definitely wasn't my doing.

V's arm tensed up and I felt his fingers moving up my back as his hand reached out above my head and pulled the shirt in like a magnet. If I could've turned to ice, I'd make ice cubes jealous of the way I had frozen up.

The shirt hovered over me like a ghost and then fell directly onto my flaming red face.

"Good morning." His deep voice mumbled to me from behind.

"Oh. Hey. You're awake?" I nervously chuckled, keeping the shirt on my face.

"I've been awake. I don't sleep as much as you do. It's almost noon."

My ears caught on to him yawning and stretching before he sat up, judging by the bed squeaks.

The ticking clock was extremely loud between our preferred silence.

I heard the bed squeak a bit more before it felt lighter, suggesting he stood up. With the pattering of his feet fading away, it was safe to finally remove the shirt and take a peek at my surroundings. Just as I did so, I was in time to see his toned ass disappear behind a door and then hear the sound of water running.

Truthfully, the first thought I had was of how jealous I was.

He was really built like that?

But quickly, sparing no time for any more thoughts, I wore my shirt on backward and grabbed my bra off the floor. I practically fell over trying to get into my jeans while hopping over to the door frantically. He definitely heard that thud. And thank goodness this room didn't have mirrors. I didn't even want to imagine how monstrous I looked right now. After last night, I knew it was monstrous.