06.

" tell me you trouble and doubts "

A PEN was twirling between Brenner's fingers while sitting comfortably on his desk with his feet resting on his desk. Bob sat right beside him with his broom resting against the wall. Both were just finishing a few bottle of beers that Brenner happened to have in one of his drawers.

"What did you want to be when you were young?" Bob took a minute to think.

"When I was a kid, I wanted to be John Lennon." Brenner chuckles lightly.

"Carl don't be a joke I'm trying to make a serious point. Here, I've been teaching for twenty two years, and each year these kids get more and more arrogant." Bob shakes his head disagreeing completely.

"Aw bullshit man. Come on Bren, the kids haven't changed, you have! You took a teach position 'cause you thought it'd be fun, right?" Brenner nodded as he continued listening.

"Thought you could have summer vacations off, and then you found out it was actually work and that really bummed you out." Brenner grew white. He never saw things in that perspective.

"These kids turned on me! They think I'm a big fuckin' joke!" Brenner explained defending himself. He would never dare to defend those spoiled kids.

"Come on listen Bren, if you were sixteen, what would you think of you, huh?"

"Hey, Bob, you think I give one rat's ass what these kids think of me?" Bob nods.

"Yes I do."

"You think about this, when you get old, these kids; when I get old, they're gonna be runnin' the country."

Bob simply replies. "Yeah."

"Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night. What when I get older, these kids are gonna take care of me." Bob takes another sip of his beer.

"I wouldn't count on it."

"Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night. That when I get older, these kids are gonna take care of me." Bob takes a sip of his beer with a shrug.

"I wouldn't count on it!" Brenner pondered at that statement for a moment.

• • •

It was close to the day at finally ending and the five of them were tired of sitting on the same old worn out desks that have been there since the day that school was opened. The five sat in a circle with tired expressions on there faces. Maxine was seated againts a pole that was holding up the roof of the library while her legs were crossed. Lucas sat acorss her with the same possition but sitting against another pole that happened to be holding up the library as well.