Bumba and the girl

Bumba was a young and agile boy of about twelve years who lived in Ohia village. He lived with his parents and his eight siblings.

His mother, Mrs. Anna was a trader who sold goods in the local Iha market. She sold vegetables, maize, millet, meat, okra, ugu leaves, rice, and the likes. Her husband was Mazi Iheanacho, a farmer. His farm was very big, consisting of maize, rice and another section of fruits.

Bumba's siblings were Eze, Ada, Ezinne. Adamma, Obiageli, John, Sari, and Zimba. They were all students in the village, with the eldest going to the biggest college in the state. Bumba was in Primary 6.

At home, Bumba's mother had warned him not to talk to strangers. In their little village, everyone knew everyone. So a new face was definitely obvious.

One hot sunny day, Bumba's parents had gone to the market along with his siblings. He was the only one at home. He changed the channels on the t.v., went round the house, tried to sleep but couldn't. He became bored soon. He fluffed on a cushion in the sitting room, thinking of what to do next, when he heard a knock on the door. Thinking it was his parents that had returned, he ran abd opened it. What he saw surprised him.

A young girl, of about eighteen years smiled at him. She had long  black hair, large eyes, high cheekbones, and slim lips. Her complexion was of almond colour. Bumba stood wide eyed, gawking at the girl. He had never seen her before nor had he ever seen a person that beautiful.

"Hello, my name is Estei. I'm sorry for disturbing you. I was lost and entered this village. Do you mind if I drink some water?"

Bumba was lost at words. When he managed to speak, he stammered. "O-of co-course. C-co-come in pl-please."

She smiled a breathtaking smile and walked in. She walked gingerly, alert. Bumba ran to the kitchen and opened the fridge, talking a bottle of water. He stood for a few seconds deliberating on whether he had done the right thing. They were not allowed to talk to strangers, nor allow them in. Recently, there had been some strange occurrences in the village. People magically disappeared. It was said that 'strangers' had arrived in the village. Bumba shook his head and decided to think positively. Besides, in his social studies class, they were told to help others. Yes, this was what he was doing. Helping the pretty girl  in the sitting room. He smiled thinking of her face that shone like a full moon, her captivating smile.

He returned to the sitting room and found her where he left her. He offered her the water and sat. As she drank, she told him of how she lost her way and ended up here. She was supposed to visit a friend's village. Thinking she could find it on her own, she took off.

"Thank you so much for the water. I have to go now."

"But can you find the town on your own?"

She shrugged, "i think i can manage."

She turned for the door and Bumba thought it would be good to help her. He knew the village she described, and decided to help her. It would give him more time to talk to this pretty girl, he thought.

"Wait. I can go with you, so that you don't miss your way." He shyly said.

"Really? Oh. Thank you very much. But your parents..."

"They wouldn't be back for another hour. I will be back by then." Bumba replied confidently.

The girl thanked him and together, they walked outside. After walking for thirty minutes silently, Bumba wanted to talk to her. He could already imagine his friend's faces when he told them of the mysterious girl. They reached the next village in no time. Bumba knew the faster path leading to other villages and towns. At the border between the two villages, they stopped.

"Thank you once again. I will never forget your kindness."

Bumba bashed, "it's no problem. By the way, I forgot to ask. What's your name? You never asked mine."

The girl's face turned serious. "Oh but I know yours."

Bumba laughed. "Really? How come?"

The girl suddenly laughed a malicious laugh. Her voice became ten times higher and stronger. Bumba shrieked. What on earth is going on? He looked sideways and saw nothing but trees.

"My name is Apana, Bumba."

Apana was the villages native name for wind. "Apana? Strange name. Are you like the wind or something?" Bumba managed to utter.

"Hahahaha! Oh yes! I'm the wind and you will be my companion." The girl's body turned into a slim black smoke. And she circled Bumba. Bumba, terrified, couldn't move. His legs were stuck in one place. He managed to utter a shape piercing scream before he became nothing but the wind.

And that was the last time Bumba was heard.