The Witch

Anan village has exceeded its counterparts in many ways. The level of development the tiny village has seen in recent years is simply amazing. From the new railways developed to ease the transport of people, to the markets opened on the outskirts of the village, to the new schools built. Even pipe borne water was constructed recently. The people of Anan are ordinary farmers and market-people who work hard to earn a living for themselves and their families. 

However, a new disease has engulfed the entire village. Children are dying of starvation, agile men and women are too weak to work, old people are dying. Everywhere was in chaos and disruption.

Some villagers burnt down their huts and farms. According to them, they are of no use. Instead, they would trek to the main gate in hopes of leaving the village. Many would die on their way. On reaching the main gate, they are asked to pay huge sums of money. Those thst cannot are left  there while others are allowed to leave.

This was the plight that Oke found himself in. He tried to save his fifteen member family. Five of which have already died. Most if the others are sick. Now and then, he would look at his village and weep. How a striving, booming village turned into a chaos and sad zone. Where did it go wrong? He would ask himself. He knew he had no answer to this.

In the middle of all this chaos, a mysterious woman appeared. She was a tall, lean, bony lady. Her hair was very white, her teeth as white as snow, her eyes very black and her laughter, a sound that leaves those around her trembling. She appears to few people, and claims she could help them in their quest to a normal life.

Most of those she offered help refused. When asked, all they could answer was that she was a devilish being.

One day, she appeared to Oke. He was on his way to his farm, or rather to what was remaining of his farm. At first, he rubbed his eyes thinking he was dreaming or imagining things. But it was real. Vivid real. He tried to shout, but it got stuck in his throat. At last, he mustered some courage to speak.

"P-pl- hey! Please. Don't kill me."

The woman snorted, "don't worry. I'm not here to kill you. I want to help you."

"Help me, how?"

"Haha. You want to save your family and yourself. I can make you do that."

"But I I don't get. How can you help me? Please. All i want is to keep my family safe. They are all dying. Please. The villagers keep praying. I have prayed and prayed but to no avail. I'm tired."

"Hmm. I know all about you. I know your heart. You will do anything for your family. There is just one thing you need to do."

"Oke was eager to here it. Now, he had no options left. He felt weak. "What thing? Please tell me." He pleaded earnestly.

"Bring me a young child."

Oke looked confused and dumbfounded. "A young child you say? How?"

"Bring me a young child that is dying in the village."

Oke's eyes grew large and in shock. He began blabbering about how he couldn't. But the woman had already began disappearing in thin air. Her striking laughter filled the now quiet environment. Oke looked side to side. It was true. Her laugh is very scary, he thought. Grabbing his hoe from the ground, he turned towards the village, leaving the farm. Ge couldn't go to farm anymore. More important things weigh on his mind. His head cast down, he walked silently in thought.

That night, Oke couldn't sleep. He tossed and turned. Now and then, he would check on his family ensuring that they were alright. He saw his third child, Nna, shivering. His health had taken a turn for the worse. Unknowingly, hot tears flowed down his cheeks. Was he going to watch his family die one by one? No. He knew what he had to do.

***

Early the next morning, he went out to the other part of the village. Prayers were underway in most parts. Oke shook his head. Do they think prayer will help them? If so, it would have a long time ago. Mtswww, nonsense. He thought as he walked on.

The hot sun blistered on his face, beads of sweat falling endlessly. He went to different markets, but didn't find a sick child. Just as he was about to turn back, he saw an old man sitting under a tree. I could get information from this man. He is old and sick, I'm sure he will spill anything he knows, Oke thought.

He greeted the man and asked how he was doing. "I'm ok, my son. The entire village is in crisis. This whole thing is sickening," The man said in cracking voice.

Oke shook his head, looking pitiful. "Yes, Baba. Everyone is praying hard for this all to end. Kai! I heard Fiya's daughter died last night."

"Ah. I heard oo. Poor girl. Very intelligent and smart. Even Ekan's family are in danger. His four children  are close to dying. I don't know what we have done to deserve this oo. Lord please help us."

Oke almost smiled upon hearing this. But he had to keep a solemn sad look. He bid the man goodbye and left. So, Ekan's family are dying. Good! I know where to go now, he thought. At first, he thought of going to Ekan's house to greet them and then in the pretence of being gone, lure one of the children. But then he thought again. That would be suspicious. He had never gone to Ekans' house just like that, and besides, the last time he went was long ago. He skimmed and skimmed until he found a perfect plan.

He didn't need to go to visit Ekan. No. He would sneak behind his house and lure one of the children out. That was what he did. He hid behind bushes in the backyard, waiting silently and patiently. He didn't wait for long, because less than ten minutes later, Ekan's  youngest child Rana, came out. He quickly stood up and pretended to be looking for something.

He asked where Ekan was. Apparently, he and their mother had gone out to join the prayers done for the village. Oke smiled a big smile. He cajoled Rana into following him to the market, saying that there was a lot of meat for him to buy and he would give him some. Rana agreed quickly. At first, he said he would tell his siblings first, but Oke told him not to.

There they were. On the road to Oke's farm. Oke didn't know where to meet the woman, but he thought that maybe since they met on the farm, they would meet again. Before they reached the farm, he began hearing that laugh. Scared and afraid, he turned. There she was. Just like the last time.
"I see you gave brought what I asked. Good. Now turn and leave. Don't look back."

"But my family..."

"Don't you worry. They will be fine. From now on, you will sacrifice a dying child every Tuesday and bring him or her here. Your family will be like it was before. Even better because your farm will be abundant in produce. Just do as I say."

"Thank you. Thank you. Old lady."

"Haha. I am not old lady. I'm the witch. Now leave!"

Oke quickly left. He heard Rana begging him to stay. Crying and shouting. He thought of turning for once but his mind scolded him against that. Even though what I'm doing is bad, it is for my family. Better him than I, he thought.

The sound of the witch's malicious laughter filled the quiet place. Rana was heard screaming his lungs out, as the witch took him with her to the underworld.