The Festival

In Asawa village, every once a year there is a festival known as Nuri. Meaning light. This is because during Nuri which is at the end of the year, the entire village is flooded with bright jaw-structing moonlight. Stars flooding the entire sky. It is a sight to behold. So, the Royal palace creates a banquet. In it, the prince chooses a bride.
One may say, so every year the prince gets a new wife! But no. It is not one prince but different princes each year that choose a bride. Different ladies arrive at the palace with various foods. The Prince then chooses a wife from amongst them.

Not far from the palace, was a young maiden called Achiama. Achaima lived with her parents, stepmothers, and siblings. Being the only daughter of the youngest wife, she was subjected to work everyday.

In Ama's hut, she and her only child Achiama were arranging the food in a basket. "My daughter what about Ewi."

"Ah mama. Father didn't give enough money o. I only bought the most important things.

"Hmm. You're right. Okay o. God is with us. It shall be well."

Achiama was a dark skinned beautiful girl. Medium in height, a long face and a mesmerising smile.

Achiama prepared sunleaf soup and ugu soup with pounded yam. When she came out of her mother's hut she felt a piercing pain as she saw the food the others prepared. Cow soup, chicken pepper soup, fried rice, eggs, pies, various delicacies. She knew she couldn't compete not only physically but also in the foods they prepared. She sighed, as she remembered it wasn't her fault. No. It's was her father's. Even since he married her mother, Ama has been in pain and suffering. He only married her because he wanted to boast of marrying four wives. The other wives and children had maligned and insulted them at every chance they got. But Ama was a patient woman. Her advice to Achiama - never let what they say get to you.

Obi, Achiama's father had three wives - Nzubibe, Atako, and Ama. Nzubibe had eight children - six boys and two girls. While Atako had nine children - four girls and five boys. Ama on the other hand, had only one child - her precious daughter Ama. Even since Obi married Nzubibe, the second wife, he knew no peace. Everyday was a different tori. He was fed up. Although he himself joined his wives in insulting Ama because she had only one child. According to him, 'a daughter for that matter'. Ama never listened to them. She was proud of her child and grateful to God that he gave her Achiama.

In the afternoon, all the parents had gone to the square leaving the children to pack the food in various baskets and then join them. Unknown to them, Nzubibe had taken another path back to the hut.

"Ah mama you are back. Hope you didn't forget anything?" Rina asked her mother.

Nzibibe walked in a hurry, her blue wrapping tangling her legs but she didn't care. "No. My daughter. I'm okay. Better hurry and go na." She shifted her look to Ama's hut. "Achiama! Come out here. Where is this girl? Achi..."

Achiama ran out with her only basket tightly held in her arms. "Yes mama?"

"Who is your mama? You this stupid girl. Shut up there. And what is that you're carrying? He-heh! So, you plan to leave this house without doing your chores abi? Anyway, em, there is a pile of work for you at the backyard. When you are done then you can go." She clicked her tougue as Achiama lowered the basket and went round the hut to the backyard. "Ewu. Winch. Mtswww. Let me see if she will go today." She murmured to herself.

"Mama we're ready."

"Okay. Let's go na. Ah. Look how radiating you are. Hey! My daughter will win oh." They walked away laughing. Achiama followed another path so as not to be seen with her children. In a small village such as this, she knew that there were one or two eyes that were waiting for a juicy gossip to spread about. She walked in confidence. My daughter will win. And i will be the new queen mother. Wait oh, she said to herself as if remembering something. She bit her finger and shouted. Maybe we will move to the palace. She did a few winning dance moves and went on her path. She arrived before the girls, and sat next to Ama who was beaming. Nzubibe clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes looking at the royal family at a short distance. Her mind wavered to the various ornaments on the queen's neck, hands and ears. Hmm. These will be mine too, she thought wickedly. Deep down, an evil plot was already hatching. She had always hated the Queen. She thought the Queen was too full of herself. You will soon disappear, just you wait. But for now, she decided to bury that thought until after the festival.