The Life of Amadi Nnoha

Amadi Nnoha lives in a small cottage in his village with his wife and five children. He is a farmer and his wife is a trader in a small and only market in the village of Idoha.

Amadi's dream is to become a well known farmer, and send his children to school. But he is poor. He finds it hard to pay for a three square meals. One thing he is, is religious. He believes that no matter the situation, God will provide.

This evening, he is sitting on his porch smoking a long pipe reminiscing about the good old days when men were young. His house, like many in the village, is a small hut which consists of a small living room, two small bedrooms - one for himand his wide and the other, where the girls fit together because the boys sleep in the living room. Their kitchen is in the backyard, where they cook with wood. A small roof provides shelter for the fire to prevent it from quenching by water.

He watches the sky turn from a light blue to a startling yellowish. The sun sets slowly, overlooking Amadi as if daring him to follow. He shakes his head at regular intervals and laughs thinking of his youth. He wishes those days would come back.  Now, it is even hard to have a well enriched food to eat. Sometimes he labours hard day and night without making enough money at the end of the day. His children also help in any way they can while attending school. Sometimes their school fees takes weeks before it is paid. And even then, only half is normally paid.  His oldest daughter, seventeen years of age has dreams to be a lawyer while Uzor, at twenty one wants to be a doctor but cannot because of college fees.

He jerks up, suddenly remembering the proposal Chief Ngo made him earlier. He knows something has been making him feel uneasy. But he cannot remember. Although anytime he tries to, his subconsciousness drowns it back. It's as if his mind doesn't want to remember. But he knows he has to. Cheif Ngo, one of the richest men in the whole village, one of the few that has been lucky to go abroad and also send his family there for studies and holiday, specifically called Amadi to his mansion. Amadi was beyond surprised because he has never talked to him even on the road. After they sat and talked, Chief looked straight in his eyes and said, I want to marry your daughter.

Now that is all Amadi can think of. Should he reject the proposal? But the girl deserves to know too. And his wife will be furious if he didn't tell her. Although he is certain she will refuse. But they are in dire need of money. If she marries him, surely they will be financially okay.

"Uzor!" He calls his son. "Gather your siblings and mother here."

"Ok." Uzor runs into the main hut.

Not long after they are all sitted on wooden stools in the front of the hut. Amadi takes a deep breath and clears his throat before he begins speaking. "Earlier today, Chief Ayadi called me to discuss an urgent matter." He looks round at his family.

"Chineke oh! I hope there is no problem." Ngozi, his wife laments. Chief is notorious for collecting money from the poor, especially if they owe him. Instead of just collecting the money, he will triple the amount and when they cannot pay he will sell their house or land.  With all his money, he is too greedy and wants more. He simply hates the poor, and doesn't like seeing them happy, it is said.

He continues, "well. Hm. Not really. The thing is he promised to help us in anything, and at anytime so far he marries Amara."

"Hey!" "Eh!" "Chimo!" Various lamentations are heard. Their faces register shock beyond words.

Amara whose face has sunk sullen speaks for the first time. "Mama me I will not marry that old man o. I will not."

"My daughter no one is saying you will. Mba." Her mother replies.

Amadi looks at his wife, "that was what I thought too. But thinking of it now, and looking at our situation..." He trails off. He also doesn't want his daughter to marry Chief but in their condition he thinks it might solve things.