Chapter 11

Vicky frowned, "Star," she managed to say. Before she could say anything else, Star threw herself over at Vicky as she sobbed. She was sobbing so hard, Vicky could not understand what she was trying to say. Vicky continued to frown. Star finally let her go. "Nalaman mo na din yung balita?" She asked. Vicky looked at her confused, "Hindi pa, Star. Ano nangyari?" Star cried even harder, "Wala na sila nanay at tatay," she said crying out loud. She was wailing now as she bent down. Vicky quickly held onto Star as they both slumped onto the floor. "What the hell?" Vicky managed to say. She was beyond confused at what was going on. She couldn't believe what she just heard. "Amelia," she said, still out of words to talk. "Pano nangyari yun? Sila aling Agnes at mang Arnel?" Vicky asked. It didn't make sense to her. She looked around the room while her eyebrows met. She shook her head trying to calm herself and Star. "Tinawagan kasi ako ni nanay, namimiss na daw nila tayo. Gusto daw nila lumuwas ng Maynila para kitain tayo. Naisip ko din na oras na rin para mapasyal ko sila dito. Hindi ko sinabi sayo para sana sorpresahin ka din. Pero pagdating ko, wala pa yung bus dun sa bus station. Eh diba lagi namang ganun yun? Palaging late. Sinabihan ako minsan daw talaga umaabot ng hanggang tatlong oras ang delay dahil minsan sa sobrang traffic. Pero wala naman akong masamang naisip dun. Dalawang oras nako naghihintay, bigla nila inannounce na naaksidente daw yung bus nila nanay at tatay kung kelan malapit na sila sa bus station. Ang sabi nawalan daw ng control yung bus. Ibig sabihin mabilis yung patakbo. Marami involved e. Ultimo yung mga nagbebenta sa tabi tabi pati na rin mga naglalakad at ibang kotse pati tricycle nahagip nila. Basta ang sabi sakin ng mga pulis, huling salpok nila sa pader daw, sa sobrang lakas ng impact, nasira yung ilang feet ng pader, yuping yupi daw yung side kung san nakaupo sila nanay at tatay." Vicky shook her head and gathered herself together. "Asan sila?" She asked. Star shook her head. "Ayoko sila makita, Vicks. Hindi totoo toh." Vicky wiped her tears, "Amelia, kelangan natin sila makita. Kelangan natin kumpirmahin kung buhay pa sila." Star cried loudly. Vicky helped her up. They went to the information desk asking for Star's parents. The receptionist told them Agnes and Arnel's bodies were already transferred to the morgue. Star squatted as she wailed. Vicky cried with her. "Halika na. Halika na." She said, her voice shaking as she tried to pick Star up. "Pano naman nila nalaman kaagad na sila yun diba? Baka nagkamali lang sila." Vicky shook her head again and was in denial. Star opened her purse. She took out a plastic bag that had Arnel's wallet and Agnes' small black crossbody bag. "Wala ng duda, Vicks. Wala ng pag-asa na hindi sila yun." Star said with her eyes almost swollen shut now from crying. "Nakuha nila yan sa pantalon ni tatay nung nakuha nila yung katawan nya. Tapos si nanay, e sigurista yun e. Takot na takot yun pumunta dito kasi nga maraming magnanakaw kaya nakuha rin nila na suot suot pa nya yung bag na yan. Chineck ko na at nandun nga yung mga identification nila." Vicky cried harder now. She was hoping it wasn't true. She gave herself and Star some more time until she realized what she came there for: to see Twinkle. Vicky wiped her tears and said, "Puntahan na natin sila." Star kept shaking her head. She didn't even want to stand up. She felt like she was in a middle of her worst nightmare. "Amelia, kelangan na natin gawin toh." She helped Star up as they slowly made their way to the morgue.

At first, Star couldn't go inside, so she let Vicky go in first. When she heard Vicky crying out loud, she hurried to go in. When she saw Arnel and Agnes' lifeless bodies laying on the cold metal gurney, she almost passed out. Vicky had to steady her up to keep her from falling. Star cried out loud as Vicky held on to her. "Nay! Tay!" She screamed in horror. She broke free from Vicky and immediately went to hug her mom. "'Nay, 'tay, marami pa po tayong plano diba? Marami pa po akong gusto ibigay sa inyo. Bakit nyo po ako iniwan? Bakit ngayon pa kung kelan malapit ko na maibigay sa inyo yung buhay na pinangako ko sa inyo." Vicky swallowed as she let her tears fall. She rubbed Star's back trying to comfort her even though she knew nothing she could do right now would ease Star's pain. Star moved over to her father next. She laid her head on top of his chest as she sobbed continuously. She blamed herself for what happened. She thought if only she had kept herself together and didn't get pregnant, she would have already given them the life they deserved. Maybe then, they would have been kept alive.