Chapter 10 | Public Opinion

¡THIS IS NOT MY STORY! The story was made by nyxblack on fanfiction.net.

——————————

20 February, 1927

Is Vigilante Justice Ever the Answer?

We here at The Daily Prophet were shocked to learn that the recent heroes of the Wizarding World were taken into custody two days ago while making a visit to The Ministry of Magic. The orders for arrest were issued by our very own ebullient Minister for Magic, Hector Fawley.

When asked about the incident the Minister had this to say, " Of Course we are thankful for what Mr. Scamander and his companion did for the Wizarding World. However, what they and the public must understand is that vigilante justice is never the answer-"

"Honestly, some things never change." Hermione scoffs, tossing her copy of the prophet to the side, uncaring as the water from the enclosure before her seeps into the paper causing the ink to run, obscuring the article and the words of Hector Fawley, the pompous prick.

She looks to Newt, kicking her legs slightly in the black water surrounding her feet. The large open pool before her filling to the brim with water as Newt and the Kelpie breach the surface. The Kelpie now bridled and docile as Newt sits astride the shape-shifting water demon, his white button down sticking to his toned chest.

Years of wrangling beasts has certainly paid off. Hermione muses, her mouth running dry at the sight, blood rushing to her head. She's so transfixed by the sight that she doesn't hear Newt calling for her.

"Hermione-" She licks her lips, sucking her bottom lip between her teeth, biting down on the tender flesh there, brown eyes taking in everything before her, tracking the trail of a single water droplet as it curves down his neck before absorbing into the already soaked fabric of his shirt.

"Hermione." She's tempted to reach out, run her fingers across his chest, tearing open those buttons one by one in order to see what lies beneath-

"Hermione!" With a jolt she's pulled from her reverie. Shaking her head, curls dancing in the air her eyes meet Newt's. He has a knowing look on his face which causes a blush to burn across her face in a heated wave. She's half tempted to bury her head in her hands, hiding her face in embarrassment but instead plasters the slightest of smirks on her face. An eyebrow quirked as though issuing a challenge.

"Someone needed to let off some steam." Hermione nearly chokes at the sly smile now curving his lips and the way he's looking at her from beneath his lash's. The double entendre as obvious as the Erumpent in the room. Her heart races, a shaky laugh escaping her lips in response.

"Ointment, if you'd please." Newt continues, never once tearing his heated gaze from Hermione's own.

She passes it to him, hands shaking the lightest bit. Still mounted, Newt gently brushes the Kelpie's bulrush mane to the side, applying the ointment to a wound on its neck before dismounting.

He stands beside Hermione now, water dripping in thick rivulets from his body. He runs a hand through his hair, slicking it back, a boyish smile on his freckled face, blue eyes full of barely disguised mirth.

With a strangled noise Hermione lunges, bodies meeting in a mess of limbs, her fingers tangling in his reddish brown hair as their lips meet in a heated and much overdue kiss.

Neither giving much thought to their beastly audience as the now harmless Kelpie dives back into the deep, the black water receding with it.