012

i think that, after careful reflection, i can say this chapter of my life has ended. 

it was tough. it was not easy. there were many tears, many long conversations, and many past-midnight phone calls. it was the most of my soul and my mind i've ever shared with anyone.

i regret some of it and i don't regret some of it. but i have grown so much and i'd like to think that that's what i'll remember from this journey. maybe someday i'll look back at this and see something that i missed, because people change. i will change.

i'm still dealing with the aftermath of it, and perhaps it's terribly ironic that time has been much kinder to me than it has been to him. it certainly didn't seem that way when i first came out of it.

in either case, i hope things have been well.

- em.

*  *  *

April 2019

How does it feel now, old friend?

How does it feel to be in the limbo and the free fall that I was in just a fleeting moment ago?

How does it feel to have your heart wrenched out of its safe cage, leaving behind only shreds and remnants of the good times?

I never meant to do this to you, but somehow, we stand here, each at a different side of a never-ending bridge spanning a massive abyss.

Only this time, you're the one calling out to me.

And I'm the one that can't find or hear your words, words that have been swallowed up by the distance.

How does it feel to know deep inside that there is no going back? That what you've let slip through your fingers will never come back to you?

How does it feel to say my name and find only darkness where there was once light?

Tell me, how does it feel?