four

i stormed into Reginas office, letting the fact that i was in the same gym shorts and hoodie that i was in when i spoke with her mother yesterday, go. she looked up at me confused. "emma? what's wrong?" she asked and i scoffed, slamming the check down on her desk. she looked at it, her breathing hitching, and she looked back up at me. "your mother came to visit me yesterday. she called me a gold digger and a slut and tried to pay me off. she said she'd ruin my life if i came after you. but i'm not going to let myself be run over like that. i'm a person and i have feelings. and this is wrong. really fucking wrong. she can't just threaten me and expect nothing to happen!" i said angrily and she looked at me with an unreadable expression on her face. i ran my fingers through my hair, looking away and i closed my eyes to keep myself from bursting into tears. whenever i get extremely angry, i have a habit of crying. it's the worst. i gasped as i was wrapped in Regina's arms and i broke down immediately. "i'm so mad. and hurt. and embarrassed." i sobbed out and regina held me tight. she rubbed my back. "i'm sorry. i'm so sorry. you are not a gold digger. and you're not a slut. i'm going to take care of this. okay?" she said and i sniffled. "she's going to come after me." i said and regina kissed my head. "no she's not. trust me." she said and kissed my head again. "it's okay. we're okay." she said and i pulled away. she gently wiped the tears off my cheeks and i looked up at her. "this is so fucked up." i mumbled sadly. she furrowed her eyebrows. "what is?" she asked and i sighed. "we've been dating for like two weeks and your crazy mother is already threatening me." i said and she chuckled. "i know. i'm sorry." she said and i smiled. she caressed my cheek and i bit my lip. "i'm gonna kiss you now." she said and leaned in, kissing me softly and i hummed as i kissed her back. i wrapped my arms around her neck and she hummed, pulling out of the kiss. she nuzzled my nose and i smiled softly. "i'm concerned that your mother had my phone number and address and i never even had a conversation with her." i said and she nodded. "me too. and you're definitely going to be staying with me for awhile because i don't trust her." she said and my breathing hitched. "you think she'd hurt me?" i asked and she sighed. "i don't know. but i do know that my brothers boyfriend Graham was abusive and cheated on him and three days later he was dead. she's... a powerful and scary woman." she said and my breathing hitched. "but i'm not going to let anything happen to you. i'm going to keep you safe with me." she said and kissed my forehead and i snuggled into her. i trusted her. and maybe i'm stupid since we've only known each other for two weeks. "now. lets go to your apartment. pack your essentials and then get you settled at my house." she said and i nodded. she kissed my head again and i pulled away from her. she brushed a piece of my hair back and i smiled softly.

after getting lunch and getting most of the stuff from my house, we went to her house. she talked me into packing pretty much everything i own. but i don't have that much anyways. i bit my lip as we walked in and i looked around. i smiled at the picture of Regina and a redhead. Regina looks so happy in it. "that's my sister Zelena." regina said softly, wrapping her arms around me from behind and i hummed as i leaned into her. "you don't look alike." i said and she chuckled. "no we don't. not at all. none of us look alike. Jeff looks more similar to me than Zelena though." she said and i smiled. "are they going to hate me as much as your mother?" i asked and she kissed my head. "no. they'll love you. and i don't think my mother hates you. i honestly think she thinks she's helping me, in some fucked up way." she said and i sighed. "i'm scared." i mumbled and bit my lip. "don't be. i will drive you to and from school, i will go with you anywhere you need to go and i will not leave you alone. i'm not going to let anything happen to you." she said and kissed my head and i nodded. "she wouldn't come after me during class would she?" i asked softly and she shook her head. "she wouldn't dare." she said and i nodded softly. "i'm going to start making dinner. it'll take me awhile to prep it and cook it and stuff. why don't you go ahead and take your stuff upstairs and start getting settled? the guest bedroom is all yours or you can stay in my room with me. either one. i'll come check on you soon." she said and i nodded. i grabbed my stuff before making the first trip upstairs. i made several more trips but when i had everything up in her room, i started putting it away. i'll feel safer with her in her room. after everything was put away, i went to go downstairs but i stopped at the top of the stairs hearing regina on the phone with someone. "how dare you threaten emma like that? what the hell is wrong with you?" she asked and my breathing hitched. walk away emma! this isn't your business. but i was frozen. i couldn't move. "mother, i chose her. i chose to be with her. i want to be with her. and if she ends up hurting me, then i will deal with that when it happens because i am an adult and i can handle myself. this is not your fight. and if you ever think about threatening her again, i will go to the police about Daniel. and Graham. because we all know what happened to them." she said angrily and my breathing hitched. who's daniel? "stay away from emma. or you will regret it." she said before i heard something slam against her counter. i'm assuming it was her phone because i heard a muttered "shit" after that. i swallowed thickly before walking down the stairs carefully and i went to the kitchen, seeing regina looking at her phone. the screen is completely shattered. she looked up at me and took a breath. "who's Daniel?" i asked, my curiosity getting the best of me and she sighed. "you heard that?" she asked and i nodded. "Daniel was my best friend. i loved him with all my heart. but when he found out i was intersexual... he didn't know how to take it. he thought i had lied to him about myself. he had developed a crush on me and he was very upset. he didn't know how to handle it and he.. he lashed out at me. i came home with stitches in my face because he hit me so hard. and.. my mother wasn't happy. i don't know the specifics but three days later, the police found Daniel hanging in his bedroom. i figured he'd just killed him self. until the police found Graham hanging in his bedroom. then the pieces added up that it wasn't necessarily a coincidence. my mother had gone to see both of them the day after their altercations with me and my brother." she said softly and i shook my head. "Regina.." i started, trailing off. "i'm not saying she killed them. it's just... a big coincidence. besides. you saw her. there's no way she could've killed two men who were easily double her size." she said and i sighed. "but what if she kills me? is it just going to be another coincidence?" i asked, my voice cracking and she shook her head, coming over to me and pulling me into her arms. "she's not going to lay a hand on you. never." she said and kissed my head. i buried my face in her chest and just took deep breaths.