1

Michael and Jeremy are both in high school. They aren't friends yet. Michael has an after school job at the library and Jeremy is there nearly every day.

Cover-https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.407897173.0349/sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.png

TW-Anxiety and kind of self harm?

A tuft of dirty blonde hair fell over Jeremys pink rimmed glasses while his glassy blue eyes lay fixated on a dusty book with admiration. He pursed his smooth pink lips together and softly blew out a small puff of air directed up at the strands of hair. The yellow hairs caught the gust and gracefully floated up to join the rest of the hair laying atop the slender boys head. A smile spread across his face and he continued to become absorbed into the book.

Across the room, behind an ancient wooden desk a tanned Filipino boy sat in an old creaky chair. His book lay open on his desk, and he held the corner of a page between his thumb and index finger rubbing it anxiously. Warm fireside colors danced in his eyes as he gazed longingly at Jeremy Heere. The skinny boy was by no means a new comer to the library. You could often find him with a small crease in his forehead and freckled cheeks pink with chill when he took shelter in the library in December.

While he investigating the shelves for new books he always fiddled with the lose strings on the bottom of his cardigan and chewed on his bottom lip, his eyebrows furrowed. It still shocked Michael how perfect his lips were still so perfect, but he was determined to crack the case. Michael Mell the antisocial headphones kid was determined to ask out Jeremy Heere the silent bookworm.

As cliché as it sounds even just thinking about asking Jeremy out forced a painful anticipation up into his stomach and throat. Every bone in his body tensed all at once, he reached a shaky hand to his arm. He curled up his fingers into an awkward claw and dug his fingernails into his arm trying to silence the feeling in his body that just told him to run away. Grimacing, he slowly removed his clawed hand from his skin revealing angry red crescents engraved into his arm.

With his breathe shaky he reached out for his water bottle, but instead of his hand wrapping around the bottle it decided to be an asshole and smacked the metal bottle onto his desk. In the quiet room the sound of metal on wood shrieked and echoed off the walls. Jeremy being the only other person in the room let out a small yelp and his head shot towards the origin of the sound. "Oh, I'm s-sorry that was just my water bottle."Michael barely managed to stutter out as he sent a small wave in the smaller boys direction.

"It's okay. I mean I appreciate that it's metal and not plastic, Save the earth n' all that y'know?" He twirled his finger around the bottom of his blue cardiagn.

"Yeah, save the earth." Michael said sheepishly.

The Filipinos mind was still racing as if he was a bunny trying to escape the vicious jaws of a fierce hunting dog, but now some butterfly's had joined the amalgamation of animals infesting his weak and withering mind.

He successfully grabbed the water bottle this time, raised it to his lips, and let the chilly liquid slide down his throat. After taking a deep breathe he gazed at the crescents on his arm, perplexed as to how he had calmed down so fast. Often times this would lead to a full on mental breakdown. Michael opened a small desk drawer and retrieved a few band aids from it, cringing at the crinkling of the paper as he opened them and covered the marks on his arm and pulled his hoodie sleeve back over his arm.

The lights on the ceiling of the library blurred in his vision as he dissapeared into his own little universe.

"Excuse me, may I please check out." Jeremys caramel voice sweetly brought Michael back into reality.

"Of course, what have you got here today."

Jeremy handed the book to Michael and rubbed his arm.

"Percy Jackson! That was my favorite as a kid. Glad to see it's the Heros of Olympus series seeing as that obviously the superior."

"Yeah, I'm rereading this series. I would die for Frank, he's so pure."

"That he is. So um, hey" Michael giggeled. "D-do you maybe want to grab a coffee sometime and talk about our infinite love for Frank Zhang?" Jeremy just stared for a moment. "Um oh God I mean as friends of course.." The Filipino quickly added on. Cursing his self in his mind.

"That actually sounds amazing, Michael right? Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yep. Michael Mell is my name and being awkward is my game." Michael immediately regretted that sentence. "I'm free like everyday. How about you come here tomorrow and we can walk to a Starbucks?"

"Sounds perfect."

Michael hummed a Bob Marely song and proceeded to check out Jeremys book.

"See you tomorrow Jeremy" He smiled warmly.

"Bye Michael have fun being awkward."

"Will do."