Home Again

I stepped off the airplane with mixed feelings. The familiar sights engulfed me; nothing seemed to have changed. The crows still perched on the electric lines, the vivid noise persisted, and wildflowers bloomed on the roadside. And among it all, his face seemed to hover continually, and my heart was already thudding. 

Suddenly, I felt quite silly as we got into the cab that would drive us home from the airport. It had been four years. Four years. True, I had not exchanged a single word with him for all that time, but obviously he wasn't still there. I was making a fool of myself, expecting nothing t have changed after such a long time. Of course he had moved on. And thus assured, I thought about it no more, as the familiar markets and landmarks flashed through the car window. I closed my sleepy eyes for a second, and then never knew when I fell asleep.

.      .       .       .       .       .

"Honey, wake up. We're home."

"Huh?" I replied groggily, sitting up. 

"You fell asleep in the car. We're here. Aren't you excited?"

I suddenly jolted out of my sleep. I stepped out of the car, clutching my backpack, as my eyes fell upon an oak tree in front of me. Not any oak tree. It was the one that had been there before I was born. More importantly, it was the one he had hugged me under. 

I looked around for my parents, but they had already disappeared into the brown building I now stared at. I knew every brick, every scratch by heart. I stared for a moment, getting lost in the feelings that can only be felt when you come back home. 

"Everything okay?" said a playful voice behind me. I jumped. 

"Mira!" I cried. It was her, truly her; I couldn't believe my eyes for a moment. My other best friend. 

"Alia! It really is you! It's been so long." With that, she came over to hug me, and I happily clung to her, feeling comforted in her presence. Her hair still hung prettily in brown curls, her eyes still vivacious and merry. 

Suddenly a thought hit me, and I almost blurted it out before I stopped myself.

"Mira, is .   .   ." I stopped myself in time, embarrassed to ask about him. 

"What?"

"Nothing. I was just about to ask if you still play tennis." 

She grinned.

"What? Of course I still play! And you, my dear, will be getting to basketball practice again from tomorrow, so you had better get some rest."

He and I had played together, each of us encouraging the other to play better. We had showed up at the basketball court every single day unfailingly, and we had gotten so good that we had won a match for our team together. I had kept up my practice during the years, and I wondered about him. 

"Bye!" said Mira. "I have some homework to get you. I'll catch you tomorrow afternoon at the pool, okay?"

"Okay. I'll be there." I smiled. I was grateful to have her by my side. 

I stepped into the house, familiar smells engulfing me. My sister was already eating a sandwich at out old dining table, Mom was already cleaning up in the kitchen, and Dad was already reviewing some paperwork. It was a usual scene as I remembered; it was as if we had been here all the time. 

I turned the brass doorknob on the door of my room. Tears brimmed my eyes at the sight. My old bed was still there, and my sturdy desk stood by it, and the bookshelves were filled with dusty volumes and yellowed diaries. I closed the door softly, and sat down at the foot of my bed. I cried with my head between my knees. It was so good to be home; I didn't know how I could have been away so long. 

I climbed into my bed, drew the sheets over me, and slept like I had slept in this bed all my life. 

.       .       .       .       .       .

Hey everyone! Tell me how you're liking it so far. Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but "he" is gonna make an appearance in the next chapter.

Any more ideas?

Thanks for reading!