Anything

I was so excited. It was 7 pm, and in an hour we would be playing a match on the basketball court. I got dressed in my black leggings and a maroon cropped t shirt. I gathered my hair up into a ponytail, but then left it loose. I always played better with my hair free. 

I pulled on my favorite pink and black socks, and laced up my running shoes. I looked into the mirror, and a confident girl stared back at me. I smiled. I had even thought of his punishment. I would make him run five laps of the park every morning at six am for a week. That should wipe the grin off his face. Hah.

I walked outside. It was already dark, one of those odd days where the sun sets at seven. I glanced at my phone. It was five to eight. I made my way to the court, where I had last stepped four years ago. 

I opened the iron gate. It still creaked. I immediately recognized the same equipment- the same pole, the same basket, the same faded markings on the red court. There was no one in there, as I already had suspected. I dribbled my ball a couple times to get the feel of it, and then took a shot. It dropped clean through the basket. I grinned, almost able to taste my victory. 

Suddenly, in the low hum of the evening, I heard the sound of another basketball behind me. I turned to look straight into his eyes. My heart skipped a beat. He grinned.

"Ready?" in his husky voice.

"Yes." I replied, not averting my gaze. 

I felt as if the occasion demanded a drumroll. I threw my ball away, and it rolled to the far corner of the court. We played a game of rock paper scissors to see who would start. I won. We decided to play a ten-point game.

I stood at the three-pointer line, and bounced the ball to him. He caught it deftly, and bounced it back to me. The game was on.

.      .       .       .          .          .          .              .                 .

I dribbled the ball for a good twenty seconds, trying to get past him. Although I was a fast runner, he was agile. He stopped every move I tried to make, and nothing worked on him.

"When did you become an Olympic runner?" he asked, grinning. 

"Ever since you became a tortoise" I retorted, chuckling. 

Suddenly, a dog barked from afar. He was startled at the sudden noise, and in a moment of weakness looked behind him. I seized the opportunity, and ran with the ball towards the basket. He realized what I was doing, and tore after me. But it was too late. With a magnificent lay-up shot, I managed to get the ball into the basket from behind the two-pointer line. I smiled.

"Two-zero to me!" I yelled in happiness.

"I'll get you this time," he said, his expression more determined. But it seemed his luck was out, for this time too, he wasn't so quick, and I managed a three point over his head. 

"Oh my god." he muttered under his breath. 

"Yeah. Five-zero." I said, my smile getting wider. 

I got the ball again, and started to run, but he was on his defense. For some reason, the ball suddenly slipped from my hands. I dashed wildly, but he was there first, and got the ball. He ran outside the three-pointer. I was annoyed, and started to run after him. When we were face to face, he suddenly darted to the right, and I went with him. As quick as lighting, he took a step backward, and shot over my head straight from the five-pointer. I sighed. It would be a rare shot. I turned around, and to my horror, the ball dropped neatly through the net, and he walked calmly towards it. 

"Five-five." He smiled infuriatingly. 

I gritted my teeth. One more five pointer, and he would win. I couldn't bear the embarrassment. On the other hand, one more five pointer, and I could win. He would be the one to bear the embarrassment. I decided to play more aggressively.

He dribbled in place a couple times, and then shot off towards the basket. I frantically raced after him, and as soon as I caught up,  he jumped with the ball. I tapped the ball hard, forgetting the rules for a moment. The ball fell from his grip, and he turned and grinned. 

"Foul. Two penalty three-pointers to me."

I sulked, saying nothing. Why did I have to be so stupid? If he got them both, he would win!

I stood to the side, while he took his position. He bounced the ball a couple times, and then took aim. I watched with bated breath as the ball flew in a precise straight line, and then to my disappointment, dropped cleanly through the basket. He shot another grin in my direction, and I sarcastically smiled back. 

"One more shot, and I get to make you do anything," he smirked. 

I turned away, praying hard that his shot wouldn't go in. I don't think I'd ever wanted anything so bad as I wanted him to lose the point. I shut my eyes, and mumbled a silent prayer, hoping he wouldn't be successful. I turned, a bit more satisfied, and I couldn't believe it- or didn't want to- as his ball dropped silently through the net again, making a loud thud on the ground.