PROLOGUE

THE FLASH »  ❝ There's something I need to tell you.
I just don't know how. So, to make you understand,
maybe I should start from the end. . .

╰ PROLOGUE ╮

PROLOGUE

T I T A N

Iris Ann West, the fastest woman on earth, stood at an utter stand still. Her feet planted firmly in their spots amongst the alien planets destroyed rubble. The ground was cold and hard beneath her feet. Her eyes watered as a rough coughing fit over took her, and red dust just imbedded itself into her lungs. Her feet and her head were throbbing like hell. What the hell happened? And why could she smell the all too familiar scent of burning of rubber? Squinting, she could see her the solos of her feet on fire. Of course, they were. She quickly stumped the fire out. That's when it really set in. The overwhelming guilty and realization. Realization that they had lost. They had really lost to Thanos. The galaxy was in great danger because them. Because they failed them. She failed them. She failed at begging fast enough. She was.... she was too slow to defeat Thanos.

Panic began to set in as a truly chilling and sinister vibe filled the air. And an eerie sensation caused goose bumps to erupt on Iris's dark skin.

" Tony! Peter!" Iris called out as loud as she possibly could. She stumbled and stuttered backwards as she looked around the empty planet for her boyfriend and her adopted son, but she saw nothing. "Peter!" She screamed out as anxiety began to explode in her chest and fill every single fiber in her body. She began to run. Running fast causing a path of purple lighting to follow pursuit of her. Her soft hues of umber flickered about the dead planet of Titan for any signs of her son. Where the hell was everyone?

" Mom!" Someone finally calls out and she feels quickly reassured. But that doesn't last as she notices how Peter's voice is weak and desperate, which just made her stomach drop. He's crying. Peter's scared and upset, and all she just wants to do is comfort him. " Mom, your... your alright." His voice is seriously pained, but she can tell he's also relieved. She smiles sadly at him and runs over to him. Her arms instantly wrapped around his slightly shorter frame. Her eyes flicker over to Tony, who looks so horrific and defeated that it physically pains Iris's whole soul. His eyes look so hunted and full of a darkness that scares Iris. She can't help but hold her son closer. She just so scared out of her mind.

  " Mamas just fine," she reassured her son as she moved to place her hand on his check in a comforting manner. " Will be fine, we have to believe that," she started.

" Because all heroes have to be brave, even when their scared." Peter quickly finished for her as he pulled away from his adoptive mother. Iris smiled softly and nodded in agreement. She stared down at her adoptive son with proud look. He was still her little boy in many ways, but he definitely had grown up more then she probably gave him credit for; she could see that now, and was quite proud of him. She stroked his check with thumb.

  " I'm so glad your alright." Muttered Tony as moved towards his girlfriend. He pressed a small gentle kiss to her forehead.  " I think Miss Potts would literally kill both of us, if I allowed that to happen."  He joked terribly. Iris smiled weakly at thought of her pregnant girlfriend. But, the smile soon faded as the prospect of her begging dead filled her mind. It hurt too much for her to even dare think about. No, Iris chose to believe that Pepper was perfectly fine. She and their unborn baby where both in the safety of the compound or the tower.  " Either of you." He quickly corrected as he glanced at Peter.

  A silence fell over them and the sense of dread had made it presence quite known to all of the heroes. But, the silence was quickly broken.

   "Somethings happening!" Mantis yelled in great agony and fear. Her eyes held a sort of desperation as she looked up, but only to disappear; dissolving to ash in the sudden wind. Iris looked at the others in utter horror and panic.

" What the hell?" She mumbled under her breath as she looked around at the others.
She turned only to see Drax, another new friend of hers, dissolve into nothing. Soon, all the guardians but Nebula were turned to ash. Panicking, she held her son close to her chest. Her arms wrapped tightly around in hopes of preventing him to turn to ash. She glanced and gave small sigh of relief when Tony was still standing there. Her eyes quickly flicked over to Stephan Strange.

    "It has to be like this." Dr. Strange said, staring at her boyfriend in the eyes. "It was the only way will have a chance at winning. There's only two outcomes, " he paused briefly and turned towards Iris.  " And you miss West, pick the one that we go down. I know, you know what you have to do." He stated to her. His face then contorted in pain before slowly turning into a nothingness. And with that, he was gone just like half of the universe.

   "Tony." Iris called. Her voiced cracked and practically raised another octave. She
was freaking out, tears welled up in her brown eyes. " Tony, I'm freaking out here-."

  Suddenly, Someone coughed, which caused Iris to pause mid thought.

    " Oh, god, no no no!" Sobbed Iris as she looked down at her boy.  Peter held a panicked expression on his face.  " Oh, baby, "

    "I don't feel so good." He said looking at his hands, pieces of his suit began to crumble off and turn to ash. "I don't know what's happening!"  He fell forward into his mother gasp.

   " Peter," Tony's panicked voice instantly followed suit and he moved to the other side of the boy. Peter's legs gave out and they had to lower him onto his back on the ground.

   "I don't wanna go." Peter's voice broke into a pleading tone, " Mom, I don't wanna go yet, please, Mom . I don't wanna go. Mister Stark I'm ... I'm scared,... "

  "It's gonna be ok, sweetie....He-y Peter, hey!" She called to him as she tried to get him to focus on her. Iris grabbed her son hands and gripped them tight in her own. Her checks wet with tears as she held her dying son. Tony was kneeling next to her and his hand on top theirs as he looked down at Peter with pain filled eyes. " Peter- it's gonna be ok. Moma's right here. Peter!"

    " I'm so sorry mom and dad." He finally said as he looked at Iris and Tony. His head shook slowly, Iris barley noticed it as he gave her hand a little squeeze before letting go and looking away. The wind picked up and within a blink he was gone, lost in the wind like he was never there. As if he never exist.

   "Peter!" She screamed again, as if it could change anything. "No, no, no." Iris lunged forward in the air, trying to grab enough pieces as if she could put him back together. But she couldn't. He was gone forever. He was dead. Her heart clutched tightly as she let out a loud scream of horror and her tears ran down her checks rapidly. Iris's hands were shaking as she stared down at them. They were ashes covered. Covered with her son's ashes. Her baby's ashes.