Chapter 15 // Unpredictable

Thursday night, Kara suddenly is wide awake because she heard a sound. She quickly turns on the light on her nightstand and looks at the door. There stands Liam, drenched in something. So she quickly stands up and walks towards him. He stands there whimpering, once she gets closer she smells an awful smell. He smells like barf, so is he sick?

He holds his hand protectively on his tummy and whispers a bit too broken "Mommy, I don't feel good." Kara nods and guides him to his room. When she arrives the room is dark so she turns the light and like she probably already guessed he barfed on his bed. Okay, Kara... what to do... She pulls out his desk chair and motions for him to sit. When is finally sits down she kneels in front of him and says "I am going to grab some clean clothes for you so you can go shower. I will be there every minute. After that we will go to one of the guestrooms and sleep together, alright."

A nod from him is enough for her to stand up and to grab new pyjamas and underwear from his closet. She guides him to his own bathroom and turns on the shower. He quickly gets inside without clothes. And after a couple minutes of showering under the constant eye of Kara, Kara says "Liam, I am going downstairs to get you a bucket. I will be upstairs within no time."

And with that she races downstairs and grabs a bucket from underneath the sink in the kitchen. She rushes upstairs again and it doesn't take long for her to arrive in Liam's bathroom. She helps him get dressed and together, with the bucket, they walk to one of the guestrooms and lie down together. Kara protectively holds Liam while he slowly falls asleep. For Kara it's quite different, she doesn't sleep until late in the night, mostly because Liam woke two times up to barf again but also because she has much to think about. 

When she wakes up it's again by somebody. A frantic Lena calling out her name so she gets out of bed and rushes to her own room. Lena visibly relaxes when she sees Kara but suddenly she turns mad and says "Kara! Where were you! I thought you promised to be here when I wake up." Actually she hurt and broken. 

So Kara makes her way over and lies down next to her. Holding her close. She whispers "I am sorry, but Liam got sick," Lena goes into mom mode and quickly pulls herself up, so she sits with her back against the headboard. She is put on bed rest and it isn't smart to have a sick child here, so Kara says "No, no. We are not going to him. I will take the day off, you call his school." Lena nods and with that Kara leaves again. Along her way to the kitchen sink, to get a new bucket, she texts Eve making sure that she doesn't have any meetings for the next three days. 

Downstairs she quickly grabs a bucket and grabs some stuff to eat, a sandwich for Lena and some biscuits for Liam. While balancing everything she first walks to the guestroom where Liam is in. She lays the biscuits on his nightstand and switches the now filled with barf bucket with the new one. She places the old bucket in his real room and with that she goes to her own room. Still with the sandwich on a plate in her hands. Lena is sitting up when she arrives, phone in hand. So she places the sandwich down and goes downstairs to do eat herself and get something to drink for those two. 

When she enters her bedroom with a glass of water in her hands Lena is working on her tablet. She kisses her wife on the head and gives her the glass. Lena thanks her by pulling her down and capturing her lips with her own. Kara is a bit drowsy when she walks away to clean Liam's room but that doesn't matter. That heated kiss was worth it.

Sometime later Liam wakes up. Kara already made sure their switch system was ready to be used in that room so they could have some fun. And just like before Liam wins every time. He ate a little when he won his fifth race. But an hour later it was out of his body again. It's awful to see her own child like this. He might not have her genes but he is certainly hers. 

Luckily for her he has fallen asleep again. So she goes back to her own room to just sleep a little. When she opens the door Lena's eyes are immediately fixated on her. "How is he darling?" Kara shakes her head, she is way too tired for this. "And how are you."

She dramatically falls on their big bed and mumbles with her head on the bed "I am tired." 

Suddenly she feels fingers combing in through her hair and Lena says "Go to sleep my love, Liam and I can live with that." 

Kara mumbles something again but it isn't understandable. She is almost asleep, it just takes merely minutes for her to softly snore. Kara might like her family, but today... today is just a day from hell. She doesn't think anything wrong about Lena or Liam but today is just an awful day. Maybe tomorrow will be better but today she will be tired and she will sleep as much as she can since she missed a lot last night. 

In her sleep Kara dreams about a world. A world without Lena, a world she will probably hate. So when she wakes up gasping and covered in sweat Lena just holds her close and whispers nice things to her. Knowing that maybe today they might be all a bit broken but tomorrow all will be good. Maybe not all but some things might be much better.