Chapter 14

Olivia fisted a handful of her green jumpsuit

Olivia fisted a handful of her green jumpsuit. She never thought she was ever going to see the day where she was going to dress in a uniform meant for criminals. The journey to the visiting room seemed even longer than it used to and it was probably because she kept limping along the way.

She drew in a nervous breath as her eyes scanned the visiting room, exhaling when her eyes met with a pair of familiar warm brown eyes. She lowered her gaze to the ground as she walked towards him.

Austin could feel his heart clench as she struggled to find her way to him. He could see the purple bruises on her face, the bite marks on her body. He hated how she looked in the jumpsuit, he hated that she was going through it alone.

She sat down on the metal seat across him and faked the most believable smile she could with a cut lip. She didn't know what was going through his head. He was supposed to hate her, all the Silvers did get there he was, paying her a visit.

"H-Hi." She stammered, placing her hands on the table. He glanced down at her calloused fingers for a short minute and sighed. He was short of words.

"How are you?" It was a dumb question. He knew she wasn't okay, he knew she was never going be okay in there. "How are they treating you here? Is it as bad as they say it is?"

"It's like prison." She smiled faintly then exhaled. "But I'm okay."

He watched her for a while, his eyes lingering on the cut on her lip.

Who did this to you?
He'd wanted to ask but instead, he shook his head and glanced down at the table.

"No, you're not." He said slowly. " You're not okay. You don't look okay." He sounded angry. Olivia watched his jaw clench. She sighed.

"Why are you even here Austin?" She asked calmly. She was dying to know. "Shouldn't you hate me by now?" She added, feeling the rest of her words dry as he met her gaze. He looked so speechless and hurt. "Your mother thinks I killed him." She continued quietly. "The whole world thinks I'm guilty. You should hate me but you're here asking how I'm doing?"

"Olivia-"He reached for her hand but she pulled away before he could make contact with her skin. She intertwined her fingers together and focused her gaze on her hands. "Olivia, I know that it wasn't you. You could never do something like that. I-I know that."

"Then why am I here?" She looked him straight in the eye, feeling tears well up in her eyes. "Why am I in here suffering for a crime that I did not commit?" She raised her hand to clean her tears away with the back of her hand. "Your family put me in here." She knew it wasn't his fault. She knew it was all Victoria's handiwork but she couldn't help herself. He was a Silver.

"And I will get you out." He nodded. She shook her head and sniffed.

"You can't."

"I will." He reassured her. "I will. I will do everything in my power to get you out of here, Olivia. I promise you." He reached for her hand once more. This time, she didn't fight him. Her hands had gotten rougher since the last time he'd touched them. "You know that I care about you, it hurts me to see you here, to see you like this." He continued. "And I know that I wasn't able to protect you from my brother, but let me do right by you now, Olly." He paused. "Let me care for you."

Olivia watched him warily and sniffed.

"It wasn't me." She said quietly after a few seconds. "I would never do something like that." Her voice broke.

"I know."

"Andrew hurt me so much, Austin. He hurt me so much and even in death, he's still haunting me. Why can't I ever be happy? Why can't he let me be happy?Haven't I suffered enough? Hav- Haven't I been through enough?" She sniffed, cleaning her face the moment a drop of tear rolled down her cheek.
Austin could feel his heart break. He could see that she was trying to be strong, and she was failing terribly at it.

How could anyone believe she actually had anything to do with Andrews death? She didn't have it in her. He knew that.

"I'll get you out of here." He gave her hand a light squeeze just as one of the prison wardens approached them. He was well built, Austin noted.
"I promise." He added as the man stopped behind Olivia.

"Your time is up." He announced.

"Until then, stay safe." Austin added hastily. "Take care of yourself and the baby. S-Stay out of trouble." He added while Olivia stood up, her gaze never leaving his. She winced as the cold metal handcuff made contact with one of the bruises on her wrist. "I'll be back." He added. She managed a small smile before the warden roughly tugged her arm.

"Move." He commanded.

He watched Olivia turn away with the warden walking closely behind her, too closely, if he had a say.

Olivia flinched when she felt the warden's hand graze her arm and linger there as they walked out of the visiting area. She could feel bile rising up her throat as he began to trace circles on her hand, his hand dropping lower by the second.

And when they stopped in front of the metal door that lead to the cells and he leaned in to open the door, she could feel something hard press against her back then again. She felt a cold breeze sweep through her.

She wanted to turn to the man behind her but she was scared. He knew what he was doing and it was intentional.

She stopped breathing.

"I'll take it from here, Officer Okoli." A voice cut in, causing him to step away from her immediately. Olivia sighed in relief as the owner of the voice drew closer and held her arm firmly, leaving no room for objection. She watched the man withdraw slowly. There was a smile on his face but it didn't reach his eyes.

"Thank you, Kemi ." His voice was tight. He gave the woman a light tap on her shoulder and walked away. The female warden pulled the door open and walked in, pulling Olivia gently behind her.

Olivia followed obediently, taking in deep breaths as they approached her cell. She undid her handcuffs and pulled the door open, gesturing for her to go in.

"You know, prisoner or not." She said slowly as she secured the lock on the gate. Olivia stared at her surprised. She hadn't expected her to speak to her.

"Us ladies have to look out for each other. You might not ever leave this place, considering what you're being accused of and the family you're up against but the least you can do is survive. It's not just about you anymore."

She took a quick glance at Olivia's belly.

She walked away.