Chapter 36

How could he be so comfortable with any of this?

Susan couldn't help but get herself worried with how Rafael was so quick to act like his life was not just threatened a few seconds ago. With the way he got down quickly from the car and smiled at the butler,
just how immortal did this man actually think he was?
She drew a deep breath as she stepped away from the car just as it drove off to the garage. She could see Rafael inhaling as deep as he could with his face, raised to the sky and his nose in the air.

It just had to feel so good to be back home.

"What is it Susan?" He asked still facing the sky. He could sense something was wrong and it wasn't just because he could feel her staring at him but also coupled with the fact that she hadn't said a word to him since the restaurant.

"If something is bothering you, you should talk about it."

He finally drew his gaze down then straight at her.  She let out an exasperated sigh and walked slowly to him. She came to a halt right in front of him.

"What is it?" He asked looking right into her eyes.

"I'm really worried about you sir." She said.

Rafael narrowed his gaze on her

"I know it's out of place but I can't help but feel Victoria's threats shouldn't be overlooked." She went on. "I'm scared of what she might do to you if we keep deciding to push on with this."
She wasn't going to stop or be discouraged by Rafael's silence.

"What is it about this case sir? Why won't you leave it alone? I mean, we won the first, we got Ms Silver out of jail, are you really going to sacrifice everything you've worked so hard for, everything you've built, are you willing to put it all on the line just for her."

Rafael scoffed

"You think I'm doing this for her?"

"Then why? Why are you doing all of this?" She asked him "I know what you're going to say, I know you'd say you don't have anything else to lose more than you already have but- I don't know what to think. To be honest, I'm scared something terrible is going to happen to you."

She was breathing fast now. She was nervous. She couldn't even bear to look at him anymore. She was so scared. She had her eyes focused on her hands now, a large frown covered Rafael's lips as he narrowed his eyes at her.

"And if anything bad happens to you, I don't know what I'd do. If you get hurt in all of this-"

"Hey," he rushed to her. "Hey," he quickly reached for her hands and then held them. She slowly turned to look at him. She almost had ears in her eyes. "Nothing is going to happen to me."

"You don't know that." Her voice broke. "The Silvers, they are quite good at making someone disappear. Look what they did to that lady, what if they do worse to you-"