Sinners And Saints II (Sinners and Saints I Epilogue)

September 24th 1997

September 24th 1997

"The job is done Chairlady."

The hoarse masculine voice at the other end of the red telephone managed to overshadow the sizzling sound that came from the poor network.

Tiny splatters of rain drops could still be heard if you stood close enough to the window as they made contact with the ground. The cool breeze from all that heavy rain that had fallen earlier, twirled the silk curtains from side to side.

She raised the telephone just so she could walk with it, drawing a deep breath as she l walked to the tiny wooden bar at the far end of the living room, trying to fix herself a drink. Her red long dress, swaying from side to side with her hips every time her block heels made contact with the rugged ground.

She slowly dropped the telephone on the counter, reaching for her half filled wine bottle.

"We made sure there were no traces left." The voice added. "We took care of everything just as you asked us to, but I doubt we can retrieve their bodies. It would take hours if not years to find their bodies in the river, that I can assure you."

Silence.
She took a deep breath. She needed to for the next question she was about to ask.

"And the child?"

Another three seconds of Silence.

"Chairlady," The voice started again. "I don't think it's possible for anyone to survive that crash, talk more of an eight year old. She's probably at the bottom of the river, dead, just like her parents."

She let out an exasperated sigh, raising her hand gently to her forehead. It needed a rub especially with the migraine she was feeling.

"Chairlady?" The voice called for her attention again.

She needed a second, a second to think, a second to breathe.

"That's enough for now." she continued, "You guys did a good job, be rest assured you'd get your money in the morning." She whispered. "And don't forget, you can not tell anyone about what happened today, not a soul. Keep your promise and loyalty to me and I promise you, you won't lack a thing as long as I'm alive. Do you understand?"

"Affirmative Chairlady."

She let out a sigh of relief and nodded her head like he could see her.

"Stay low until I contact you."
She hurriedly dropped the handset back in place like nothing had happened.

God, she needed a drink.
She rubbed her slim hands together for a second. They were suddenly numb from all that drinking.

Just how drunk was she already?

She poured herself another glass of wine and hurriedly emptied it into her mouth. She needed all the drink she could get. She poured herself yet another glass, slouching herself on the large bar stool.

Crash!

She drew a deep breath as she heard a loud crashing sound that looked like it was from one of the flower vases in the hallway, followed by tiny footsteps running in her direction. Thank God she had ended that call long ago. The footsteps were drawing closer.

"Mummy!"
She rolled her eyes and rubbed her temple, that was just what she didn't need.

"Mummy! Mummy!" The tiny yet loud voice drew closer as a little boy rushed into the living room, with a girl running in after him. She looked older than he was, slightly older and had the prettiest ribbon, tied perfectly on her braided pigtails. She also had a huge frown on her face like she was about to cry. The frown got worse the moment she watched the boy run into the woman's embrace.

She turned to them both just as an older woman who looked like she was in her early thirties rushed into the living room, right behind them.

"Mummy," The boy clung on to her, hiding behind her like he was scared of actually leaving her side while he stuck his head out so he could see the girl too. "Ivory is being mean to me again."

The woman slowly turned to the little girl.

"Ivory?" She turned to her "What's wrong?" She asked the moment she noticed the distress on the little girl's face. She could see the tears lingering in her eyes as she slowly raised a tiny doll up for everyone to see, or what it used to be when it still had it's neck on it's head.

"He broke my doll." Her voice trembled. It was obvious she was trying to push back the tears in her eyes. The woman drew a deep breath.

"She called me stupid." The boy said in his defense

"That was because you poured orange juice on my notebook."

"It was an accident. I fell."

"That's enough." The woman obviously couldn't take any more of the bickering. She just needed to rest. She needed some peace and quiet.

She slowly reached for the boy's tiny hands and pulled him from behind her to her side, while he stuck his tongue out jestfully at his sister.

"Apologize to your sister for breaking her doll Rafael." She told him as he just stood there, sneering at the girl in front of him. He had no remorse whatsoever for what he did.

"Why do I have to apologize? She started it." He whispered loud enough for them all to hear

"Rafael?" The woman repeated. He scoffed and then rolled his eyes.

"Fine." He started and then turned to the girl again, pouting at her. "I'm sorry."

"You don't mean it." She told him

"But I do."

"That's enough." The woman cut in again. She turned to the girl. "Ivory, you don't have to be sad anymore. I'm going to get you a new doll tomorrow okay?"

She pouted for a little while and then exhaled.

"Okay Mummy." She let out a smile, exposing her perfect dentition.

"Alright then, take your brother upstairs and play carefully." She continued just as the boy found his way back to the door.

"Benita?" The lady behind them slowly raised her head to meet hers.

"Chairlady."

"Please get them ready for bed." She told her "I'd be sleeping early today. I don't think I can wait up for my husband tonight. I wouldn't like to be disturbed please, for any reason. Let everyone else know."

The lady nodded.

"Okay chairlady."

She quickly reached for each of their hands and grabbed them gently, leading them away from the living room.

The lady took a deep breath and slowly turned back to the counter. She reached for her wine glass and then poured herself another drink.

It was going to be a long night.