Svayamvar

'A stranger with his face not in my sight was standing in front of me. I had a smile on my face as I walked towards him with a garland in my hand.

Everyone was cheering for us as I garlanded him. He held my hand making me blush as my father declared him as my husband.

My eyes were filled with tears of happiness. But then, I woke up from the dream.'

Finally, the day of my svayamvar.

Preru was sitting beside me sprinkling water on my eyes to wake me up.

"You are my biggest enemy" I said in an annoyed tone to Prerna.

The maids started giving me bath while Preru instructed me.

First, coconut oil was applied on my hair. The hair was then washed with the mixture of Shikakai, Alie Vera, Amla, Bhringraj etc.

A paste of oil, milk, turmeric powder, sandal wood powder, and gram flour and some fragrant herbs was applied in my hands, arms, legs and face.

Then I was given a bath. They then took me to the dressing table and two of the maids dried my hair. Then they tied my hair in a juda while decorating it with a gajra.

After that they made me wear a heavy red saree and a kamarband

Preru started helping me wear the jewelleries, a gold maangtikma,nose ring, many necklaces, earrings, toe-ring, bangles, haathphool (four rings attached to a bangle) and thumb-ring

Then black kajal was applied on my eyes, bindis were put on my forehead, red paint extracted from roses were applied on my lips.

A very exclusive ittr (perfume) was applied on me which had a pleasant fragrance.

And there, I was standing in front of the mirror, fully ready.

Preru fixed my ghunghat which now was hiding my face.

My face can still be seen,
Just not clearly.

"Putri" My mother exclaimed as she walked in the room. "You look like a devi herself on Earth. Good work Prerna."

Preru smiled.

"What are you saying Mata? Like a devi? A devi is thousand times for beautiful than me. You can just have a glance on her and realise that she is a devi." I said just to irritate her.

"Ok, I am sorry. Now spare me." She said jokingly. We both giggled.

"How big you have become, Bhanu!" She started being emotional.

"It was like just yesterday, when I took her in my lap for the first time." Pitashree said as he entered my room.

"Pitashree" I ran to him and hugged him.

"Now, you will love someone else more than us. " He said while caressing my hair.

"That won't happen." I assured him. "For me, my parents are the most important people."

"That's what every girl says when she is about to get married, but eventually her husband becomes the most important to her." Mata said with tears in her eyes.

"Mata, just don't be emotion now." I said wiping her tears. "You know I can't see any of you cry."

"Putri, listen. We have loved and pampered you from all our heart, always fulfilling whatever you wished you for. But, I hope you will keep our respect in front of your husband and his family and won't do anything to defame us." He said in a firm voice trying not to be emotional.

"Pitashree, I will try my best to not do anything which would defame my parents." I said as I hugged him again.

Well, I guess that depends on what fate was for me.

"Ok now, I should go. There must be someone to welcome the guests. Come, Chandra" and saying so, Pitashree left with Mata.

I sat on the bed. I saw Preru standing quietly .

"Preru, is it the right time? Am I ready for all this?" I said feeling stressed and confused. "Being married is a big responsibility and I don't know if I am ready for it yet. What if I won't be able to fulfil the expectations my parents is having, my husband and his family will have? What if I won't be a good wife? What if I won't be a good daughter-in-law?"

She just smiled and sat beside me.

"Bhanu, you are just over thinking. The every bride goes through the feeling which you are going through right now. This is common for the brides. Just relax and don't over think" She said in a calm tone.

"You are saying as if you are very experienced in getting married" I said in a childish tone.

"Rajkumari, it's time to go" she interrupted our conversation.

I nodded and we  started walking towards the grand hall.

My eyes were fixed on the ground as I reached the hall. My father was explaining the rules.

I will be given a garland. I would walk across the hall with my maids as they will introduce me to each of the suitors. If I am willing to marry any of them, I will stop in front of him and will walk towards him and will finally garland him.

I finally raised my eyes looking at the princes and kings. There were suitors of all ages.

I walked forward and joined both of my hands, welcoming the suitors.

Soon the ceremony started, I started walking as the appointed maid described the suitors to me. On my left, Prerna was walking.

I continued walking, not really liking anyone. I just didn't feel connected to anyone like I imagined I would feel. In addition to all this, I was not allowed to look at their face or even turn towards them because that would mean that I have chosen them.

I sighed secretly as we walked forward. We stopped in front of the next prince.

"He is Rajkumar Duryodhan of Hashtinapur, Son of Maharaj Dhritarashtra and Maharani Gandhari. The eldest of the 100 brothers. A skilled warrior...." And the maid goes on appreciating  this Rajkumar Duryodhan.

Interesting...
But is he meant for me?
I don't know if I feel that connection which I am searching for.

Dwelled in these thoughts, I started walking forward.

Suddenly, I heard a loud anger scream. I looked at Preru and her expression was of somewhat terror.

I felt someone grab my wrist. I turned and saw a man. He was holding my hand tightly as his eyes were filled with anger maybe somewhat of insult.

Author's Note

So here's the next chapter of this story.
I tried to make it as long as I could.
I hope you all will like it.