First Steps

"Good morning handsome, we've got to get up and get ready because you have speech therapy and PT today." Louis says as he gently wakes up his husband, Harry opening his eyes and smiling sleepily to Louis. Louis kisses his head, pulling him up and making sure he was stable before he quickly moved Harry's wheelchair over. "How full is your bag love? Do you want me to empty it?" Harry nods as Louis wheels him into the bathroom. "Are you still tired, my sweet?" Harry nods, yawning into his fist and then running a hand over his face. "How are we gunna do this, this morning? Do you want me to help you or are you gunna do it by yourself?" Harry thinks for a second.

"Prefer it if you helped me." He says breathlessly, shifting in his chair. "Alright, let me just empty your bag and then we'll get you all set up for a shower." Harry nods, smiling as Louis helps him out of his chair and into the shower after making sure the water is warm enough. "Alright poppet, you wanna wash down there and then we can get out." Harry nods, doing so quickly and then standing with Louis' help.

By now, I bet you're wondering what's wrong with Harry, why does he require a wheelchair? See, Harry had been a terrible accident a few years ago, leaving him wheelchair bound. He is now what doctors refer to as an incomplete quadriplegic, meaning he still has some feeling and sensation in his legs, but he's still in need of a wheelchair, that is why he attends physical therapy (PT), to hopefully give him some of his old life back.

"Alright handsome, can you sit on the toilet for me? I'll help you if you need it, but I have to get another bag and everything for your catheter." Harry nods, moving to the toilet and sitting down, waiting for Louis. "I'll try and get this over and done with quick, I know this is your least favourite part." Harry nods, shutting his eyes and just waiting for it to be over.

Five minutes later, Louis is helping him back in his chair and he's wheeling himself out to the kitchen. "What are we making for breakfast sweetheart?" Louis says, leaning down and kissing Harry's lips. "Pancakes with eggs and bacon." Harry smiles, making Louis shakes his head as he chuckles. "Of course kind Sir, can you please get the milk out of the fridge and we'll get started." Harry nods, wheeling himself over to the fridge and smiling as he sees Louis getting everything, he bits his lip as Louis reaches high into the cabinet and Harry gets a glorious view of his arse.

He's pulled out of his little moment when the fridge beeps at him, telling him he's left it open for to long. Louis is quick to turn around, looking at Harry frantically. "Fine... left it open to long." He says quietly, and that is why he still attends speech therapy, to help him get back his old voice.

"Alright, let's measure this stuff out and we can throw it in a bowl and mix it." Harry nods, putting the stuff in the bowl as Louis' measures. Harry is so incredibly grateful for Louis, they had been married for year when the accident happened, and Louis had just taken it all in his stride, he'd been such a great caretaker for Harry when he needed it most. "Alright, you can be in charge of the pancakes and I'll cook the bacon and the eggs." Harry nods, making sure his brakes are on and watching the pancakes intently.

After about ten minutes, they are both sitting down and eating breakfast. "Ok, let's get dressed and then I think we can head." Harry nods, pushing himself into their bedroom.

"Alright handsome, let's go

"Alright handsome, let's go." Harry smiles as Louis wheels him out of their flat and to the elevator. They greet the doorman and then leave, immediately being swamped with paps and fans of Louis.

"Louis! Are the rumours true?! Are you dating that writer?!" Louis shakes his head, leaning down to kiss Harry's head. "That writer you all seem to assume I'm dating, is actually my sister-in-law, Harry's sister." He snaps, quickly walking to their car and helping Harry get in. "You alright poppet? I know they're arseholes." Harry nods, willing himself not to cry. Louis quickly rounds the car and jumps into the drivers seat and drives off, so the paps and fan don't see Harry cry because he'd(Harry) be even more embarrassed. "Why do you stay with a retard like me? I can't even walk properly! You could have the prettiest person in the world but you're with a fucking quadriplegic, why?" Harry spits quietly, angry tears running down his face.

"Look at me. You are the most beautiful human being I've ever met. I still get nervous when we're together, and you make the bloody sun look dull when you smile." Louis says, holding Harry's face in his hands and making sure he's looking at him. "Don't you dare put yourself down for something you can't control. Whose fault was it that the accident happened?" Harry looks down, mumbling. "A drunk." Louis nods, lifting his head back up. "Yes. So whose fault isn't it that you're a quadriplegic?"

"Mine."

Louis nods kissing his husband's lips and making him smile a little. "Now, let's go in and rock this speech therapy and physical therapy." Harry nods, thanking Louis as he helps Harry out of the car.

"Hello boys, it'll just be a little bit of a wait. We're pretty busy today." They sit quietly, playing a few games on Harry's phone as they wait.

"Harry Styles?" Louis stands and walks behind Harry as he pushes himself into the room. "Ok, are you ready?" Hary nods, kissing Louis goodbye as the older man leaves. "Will we have a little bit of practice first, before you show him?" Harry nods, smiling the widest his physical therapist has ever seen.

"Louis, can you please just come back for a few moments, we'd like to show you Harry's progress." Louis nods, standing from his chair and following the doctor. "Hi boo." Harry smiles, standing on his own with no support. Louis slaps his hands over his mouth as tears come to his eyes and he looks between Harry and his physical therapist. "Look at this." Harry says as he takes his first steps totally unassisted in over a year, they're definitely not perfect, he's very wobbly and little unsteady but he's walking. He's walking on his own.

When he gets to Louis, he gently kisses the man and tells him how much he loves and appreciates him. "You're the best husband anyone could ask for." Louis smiles, tears trickling down his face as he hugs Harry tightly.

"Now we just need to complete our family with a dog and few kids." Harry giggles, nodding his head.