A Visitor

Sorry its been a while.  I'm so busy since school started.  I'm so stressed out and up all night and it's hard to find time to write.  So without further a-do...

***

"What are you gonna do," I slam my fists down on the table, "Stop looking?"

My father and I eat dinner alone.  the flickering light of the fire bounces off each of our faces, making our tired eyes even more ghostly. 

"Absolutly not," my father argues, "But there are other things more important than wasting all my men to find a girl that has been missing for almost a month."

I stare at him in astonishment, "But it's Astrid!"  I can't stand any longer and I fall back into the chair and put my head in my hands.  For a month I have had nightmares and sleepless nights.  My mind has never been clear and I am always looking for her with Toothless.  The gang does whatever thy can to help me but I have shut them out recently. 

Toothless too has been missing Astrid and Stormfly.  He has been eating less and doesn't pound on the roof to go on our morning flights anymore.  I find him loitering around Astird's home and staying close to Stormfly's bed.  He's probably there now, but he will come find me in the middle of the night, crying into my pillow.

"Son," My dad's hand suddenly is paced on my shoulder, "I won't stop having men look for her.  But I do need to draw back.  We need to be prepared for any other attacks."

I stare into the fire, "I understand."

My father sighs, "Why don't you try getting some rest, son."

I nod and drag myself up the stairs only to look up at the ceiling with salty tears running down my face. 

Where are you Astrid?

***

I'm awakened by Toothless licking my face.

"Come on bud," I grumble, "You know that doesn't wash out."

He whines and nods to the door downstairs.

"What," I ask, wiping my face.  That's when I hear voices outside.

"Come on Hiccup.  Wake up," I her Ruffnut's voice.

"Maybe we can sneek through his window and pick his nose," Tuffnut's voice suggests.

"Ew, no," Ruffnut disagrees.

"Guys, not now," Snotlout intervenes before things got ugly.

I assume Snotlout then is the onr who knocks on my door.  I roll my eyes and Toothless follows me down the stairs. Opening the door I see my friends standing impatiently.

"For Thor's sake," Tuff groans, "Why'd it take you so long."

"Because I was sleeping," I say.

"Well, you ahould have been awake," Ruff says.

"Trader Yohan is here," Snotlout answers excitedly.

I stare at them,"Really? That's what you woke me up for?"  Normally I would be excited for Trader Yohan to arrive, but since Astrid is the only thing I would trade for, he is of no use to me today.

Tuffnut ignores my complaints and grabs my arm.  They drag me down to the docks and I begin to look through all the junk Yohan has managed to pile onto his ship.

"Master Hiccup," Yohan greets me as we board the ship. 

I smile wrakly at him.  yohan cam tell that I am tired and not myaelf, he doesn't know that Astrid is missng.

"What's wrong Master Hiccup?" Yohan asks.

I shrug and turn the other way and rummage through a pile.  Snotlout stands behind me watching me, waiting for me to give a real answer.  The twin are alreafy to the other end of the ship digging through weapons.

"I have the perfect thing to cheer you up," Yohan says excitedly.  He turns away.

I look up and a light catches my eye.  I squint and notice that im starring at a battle axe.  My feel myself frown and Snotlout notices the sadness increase in my eyes and facial expression.

He turns and sighs, "We can go look for her after."

I shake my head.

"You're giving up?"  Snotlout asks astonished.

I shake my head again, "No.  But today she would want me to get sleep."

"You sound like she's dead," Snotlout gasps.

I look out into the horizon,  I can't get myself to say what I dread is true.

"Hiccup-" Snotlout begins but I cut him off.

"Snotlout, it's her birthday today.  She isn't here to celebrate with us.  I can't even say happy birthday to her," I explain what is really nagging at me.

Snotlout soaks in what I just said, he stays silent.  But it isn't silent for long because the stillness is interrupted by gasps from Ruff and Tuff and clitter and clatter of metal falling.  The first thing anyone heard after the racket was Tuff saying, "It was Ruffnut."

Everyone walks over to see what happened.  Metal is indeed scattered around the ship deck but what sits inthe middle of the pile, the leron tnat most likely knocked everything over, was a girl.

***

Tell me what you thought! Thanks and look forward to the next part soon.

Oh and who do you think the girl is???