His Focus

Adrien's POV
As I watched Mari dance from backstage a strange sense of foreboding flooded me.

Something was off.

As stupid as it sounded, I was getting the odd feeling that something was going to happen. And I didn't know if it was going to be good or bad, which worried me.

I continued to watch the dancers one by one until my name was called. I didn't go to Marinette because of our rule.

We didn't talk to each other until after performances.

It was mostly because we both believed in bad luck and also we tend to get distracted with each other from time to time which could force us out of the right mindset. It's weird but it works. We get less distracted and dance better when we're in the zone.

My name is called and I take a deep breath before walking out and beginning my dance. Despite all the things that had happened recently, I was able to push them to the back of my mind and focused solely on moving the way I knew how. And obviously, the performance was perfect.

I walked off stage as the crowds clapping slowed to a stop. Stretching my arms up in an attempt to loosen my muscles, I go to my bag which carried my Ice cold water. 

After unceremoniously dumping the water down my throat, I moved toward the small changing room, backstage. I had to get dressed for the duet. 

After I did, I could see Mari from across the room, talking to one of her instructors. She was already dressed, her traditional white ballet attire with the black choker made her look almost ethereal. And as much as I wanted to say that to her face, that ould be breaking our rule, so I just moved away to go and talk to Kim, another breakdancing student.

"Yo, Agreste," he called to me. When I reached him I punched him in the arm.

"What's up, man?" I ask. He shrugs.

"Not too much, I'm here because my teacher wants me to see and pick up the senior students technique," he says, rolling his eyes. I punch him again.

"Dude, are you still mad that I'm a better dancer than you?" I ask playfully.

"You better watch your back Agreste. Watch, I'm going to come up behind you and knock you off your high horse," He threatens. I laugh.

"We'll see about that buddy." Suddenly a producer comes up to me and pats me on the shoulder, signaling that it was time for the duets. I give Kim a quick wink and he responds with flipping me off jokingly.