Chapter 6

" CHLOE POV "

The next morning,I climbed onto the roof, trying to convince myself that my fear of heights wasn’t rational.

And even though most of my stomach was churning at the thought of being close to the edge, I still couldn’t get that damn kiss out of my mind.

Christian Giovanni De Luca looked like the devil, with his dark hair, sexy stubble, and glittering eyes.

But he kissed like an angel.

You were tempted to take him up on his offer.

It was true. In the face of his raw sexuality, every ounce of common sense my possessed had vanished.

He had kissed me one more time, he had phrased his request less bluntly…

I would have been waking up next to him this morning.

And it would have been a mistake.

There was Vibrators didn’t rival the weight of a hard body against my skin, but the morning after, I never regretted my habbit.

* * *

“Chloe,”my grandmother peered up at me from the driveway, her pink robe tight belted around her waist, a cup of coffee in her hand, her voice raised in alarm.

“What on earth are you doing?”

“Fixing the torn shingles,” I yelled down.

“It rained last night. My bedroom had a puddle in
it.”

“Oh dear.” She sounded distressed.

“Chloe, honey, you don’t like heights.”

I loved my grandmother, but she was gifted at stating the obvious.

“As long as I don’t look down, I’m fine. Go inside, grandma. This won’t take long. I just have to rip up this row of shingles and replace them with newones.”

“Let’s hire someone to do that.”

“It’s only going to take me thirty minutes, Grandma,” I said.

“Tell you what, you make pancakes, and by the time you are done cooking, I’ll be finished.”

She shook her head disapprovingly, but she went inside, without protesting once again.

My grandmother wasn’t a fool. I didn’t need to explicitly state that we couldn’t afford to hire someone to come and fix the roof.

If I wanted to live in a leak-free house, even if only for the next eighty-two days, I’d have to fix it myself.

“Alright, Chloe,” I told myself, once my grandmother was out of earshot.

“You can do this. You saw the YouTube video. This is going to be a piece of cake.” I glared at my right hand, which was shaking like a leaf.

I really, really hated heights. Any moment, I was going to throw up the two cups of coffee I’d had this morning.

“What on earth are you doing?” a loud male voice interrupted, startling me so much that I almost fell to the ground.

“ Chloe Sophia Anderson, are you insane?”

I looked down to see the man who had kissed me at the gala yesterday, who had played a starring role in my dreams all night long.

Christian Giovanni De Luca was at the base of the ladder, looking up at me, a furious expression on hisface.

Suddenly, the churning in my stomach had nothing to do with my fear of heights, and everything to do with the man who was climbing up next tome.