Chapter 22

" GIO POV "

Chloe came downstairs fifteen minutes later, and by then, my rage had hardened into an icy steel.

"You're up early," she commented as she poured herself a cup of coffee.

I might have been imagining it, but her tone was strained, and she refused to meet my gaze.

Had today been a normal day, we'd have both sat at the kitchen table and eaten breakfast together.

She didn't sit though. She hung by the coffee maker, her shoulders stiff.

Maybe she was waiting for me to reply. I didn'tcare.

A long pause followed, then Chloe turned, and I caught a proper look at her for the first time.

There were dark circles around her eyes, and she looked tired and stressed.

Satisfaction warred with concern inside me, and I forced the concern back. Chloe had made her ownbed.

"Gio?" Her voice was hesitant.

"Listen, there's something I need to talk to you about."

"What an understatement." I spoke for the first time since she'd entered the room.

"Don't bother confessing, Chloe. I already know what you did. And whatever explanation you have, I don't want to hear it." I pushed the paper toward her.

Her eyes flickered over the headline, then she gasped.

Bitterness filled me. My wife was a very good actress.

"How?" she started to ask, but I'd had enough.

I didn't want to hear her pretend, I didn't want to listen to her lies.

I just wanted her gone.

I wanted nothing to do with her.

"Chloe." I held up my hand.

"You fooled me once. But please, try not to insult my intelligence with some sob story about how Dave forced you to do this." I laughed humorlessly.

I'd been such a fool.

"It was all a ploy, wasn't it? Showing up to the party, kissing me. Pretending your house was at risk. I was so convinced, so taken in by you that I didn't even investigate your story." I shook myhead.

"Gio," Chloe whispered, a tremble in her voice.

"I didn't do this."

"Shut up, Chloe," I snapped and regretted it instantly when her face paled.

I shut my eyes so I didn't have to see her face.

"Dave Wesley wants to win at all costs, and evidently, so do you."

"Dave wants to win at all costs?" There was an angry tremor in her voice.

"You of all people should recognize that feeling, Gio. After all, you're exactly the same."

"Except I'm not capable of using sex to get what I want, and you are, aren't you, Chloe?" I ran my hands through my hair.

"God, I can't believe I fell for that bullshit. Tell me your fantasies, Gio, and I'll make them come true. I should have known it was too good to be true."

Her eyes swam with tears.

"Gio," she tried one more time,

"Please. I haven't seen Dave in months, not since before we got married. You have to believe me..." She brushed her tears away with the back of her hand, causing her mascara to streak.

She didn't notice.

I couldn't look at her.

"Just go, Chloe. You got two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and you made a fool out of me. What else do you want?"

She was quiet for a long time. Finally, she raised her tear-filled eyes at me and swallowed hard.

"I love you, Gio."

I couldn't take it. Yesterday, I would have given everything to hear her say those words. I brushed past her.

"I want you gone by the time I get out of the shower," I said flatly, my voice cold as I headed upstairs, willing myself not to turn back and look at Chloe.

Nothing had been real, I repeated to myself, clinging to my anger like a beloved blanket.

When I came back downstairs, she was gone.

All that was left of my marriage were the two rings she'd left behind on the table.

One yellow diamond engagement ring, and a solid gold weddingband.

And a jagged, gaping gash in my heart.

Hope u like it
Please do not report
Vote please
Enjoy