Chapter 20

" CHLOE POV "

I barely rememberwhat I told my grandmother.

I’d muttered something about how it was probably a mistake, and I’d promised to call and straighten it out in the morning.

Thankfully, my grandmother had been so shocked seeing the amount that was owed that she hadn’t read the bill in any detail.

The secret of my marriage was safe.

My head spun. How could this have happened?

I’d paid the two hundred thousand we owed.

Where did this additional eighty-three thousand dollars come from, and how could I find so much money in elevendays?

You could ask Gio.

As soon as that thought suggested itself, I shook it away. I’d made my deal.

I’d asked for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and college tuition.

With the money, I’d paid the city, and I’d hired a contractor to make some much-needed repairs on the house.

New roof and waterproofing in the basement. Necessary structural stuff.

There was just the tuition money left, but it had been earmarked for college.

Would Gio be willing to give me that money right away?

I didn’t know. Yes, we’d formed a bond in the last month.

But just this evening, he’d been raging against people who went back on their word.

And here I was, about to do the same thing.

He’d help if you asked him.

Maybe he would, and maybe he wouldn’t. We came from different worlds.

Women wanted him for his money, and he was wary about being used.

And I’d be doing the same thing, wouldn’t I?

You could try trusting him.

I didn’t want Gio for his money. Yes, I wasn’t going to lie and pretend that money wasn’t nice, but that wasn’t why I’d fallen in love with him.

I’d fallen in love with Gio because of his thoughtfulness.

When I was tired, Gio was there to pour me a glass of wine and give me a back massage.

When I was sick, Gio hovered at my side, fetching me soup and tissues and cough syrup without grumbling.

Asking him for money was a risk. A big risk.

Possibly a marriage-endingrisk.

But it was a risk that I had to take.

Hope u like it
Please do not report
Vote please
Enjoy