Part 8

Should I tell him? Tina thought. But I shouldn't. But I feel like I should. Oh, I don't know!

-----------------------------------------------------------

The new tracking team was great. They had already captured three of Grindelwald's acolytes, though they had gotten no information from them yet. Tina still came home late, but she was in a better mood than when she had been in the spellwork team. Newt certainly noticed. He also noticed she had become more distant. They interacted as they had normally, but she seemed to avoid talking to him as much. It was quite strange. He decided to ask her before he started overthinking it. He found her doing paperwork on the steps in his basement.

"Is everything alright?" He asked, albeit a bit awkwardly. Tina looked up.

"Oh, yes, just busy," she replied, a nonchalant expression on her face.

"I wouldn't want to bother you," Newt said.

"It's fine," she said, and patted the stair next to her, beckoning him to sit down.

"What's all this for?" Newt asked.

"Oh, just some permits, you know, for the other American aurors. Nothing much. Why?" she replied.

"You haven't been yourself lately. Nagini and I were wondering if you were alright. Um, she said you weren't sleeping much," Newt said. Up close, he could see the dark circles under her eyes.

"That. Oh. Well. Um. So." Tina was struggling to say something.

"It's alright, you can tell me anything, Tina," Newt said, gently.

"So, um, there's this guy, Achilles Tolliver, he's working with me now," Tina started.

"Achilles, like your boyfriend?" Newt questioned.

"Oh! Yes. I just didn't, um, want to tell you. That's why I wasn't sleeping as well." She suddenly became very interested in her shoes.

"Why would you not want to tell me? I think it's perfectly fine. If there is someone that makes you happy, I think that's great. We're friends, Tina. It's alright," Newt said.

"I'm sorry," Tina replied.

"You don't have to be sorry." He put his arm around her shoulders. She flinched, then laid her head on his shoulders, as they had done on the first night. 

"Take a break from the paperwork. Everyone can see you're stressed." Newt continued.

"But I'm almost done," she complained.

"Even better. We have something to look forward to, anyway. The Christmas party." 

"Oh, that. When is it?" she asked.

"Two weeks," he said.

"Great. Would it be okay if I introduced you to Achilles?" Tina said, nervously.

"Sure! Why not."

"That's good. I'll tell him." 

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Newt Scamander, the weird famous British guy who wrote the book about beasts?" Achilles asked, shocked.

"Well, I wouldn't say weird. Maybe a little reclusive, but he's a really nice guy. That's why we're friends," Tina said.

"You shouldn't hang out with people like him! Brits have too lenient laws about relationships with No-Majs," he said, still slightly shocked.

"You do realize his older brother is leading this tracking team and is standing over there?" Tina gestured to Theseus.