Part 15

It was Christmas eve, and Tina was just finishing up getting ready. Nagini was helping, as she was surprisingly good at styling hair. Nagini was running a comb through Tina's short brown tresses. Tina had a small black hairclip, which Nagini used to pin up Tina's hair out of her face for when she - Tina shuddered at the thought of it - was dancing. Tina carefully used her wand to straighten out any wrinkles in her dress. She had applied a little more makeup than she normally did, though nothing too drastic for her standards. She slipped on the flats she had bought, and she was ready. She walked out of the room, a bit self-consciously. She never really got dressed up like this, it was more of Queenie's thing. She waited on the couch, nibbling on a jam tart. A couple of minutes later, Newt emerged from the bedroom. He was wearing a classic black and white tuxedo and dress shoes, and Tina had to admit, he was looking very handsome. He was also blushing ferociously and looking at his shoes. Tina stood up, brushing the crumbs off of her skirt. Newt looked up, about to say something, but he stopped, gazing at Tina in a way that didn't make her uncomfortable, just maybe a little pleased. 

"You look, um, very nice, Tina." Newt managed to mumble out after a couple of seconds. Now it was Tina's turn to blush. 

"Thank you. And you look handsome too." Tina mumbled back.

"I look like a penguin," Newt muttered. A very handsome penguin, at that, Tina thought. 

"Shall we?" Newt asked, gesturing to the door. Newt offered out his arm, which Tina gladly took. Tina grabbed her coat, which she had magically altered to become a more elegant - and warm - fur trimmed coat. Before they left, Nagini whispered in Tina's ear, told you so. Tina looked back and rolled her eyes at Nagini playfully. Newt and Tina then apparated away. 

They landed in front of a quintessential English country estate. It was snowing, and there was a cold bite in the air. A gravel driveway led to a stately set of stone steps and was lined with Christmas holly bushes, an added touch to the Christmas cheer. The house itself was impressive, a grand construction of stone and glass. A multitude of people were already heading towards the house, a stream of red and green skirts and black and white suits entering the mahogany doors. Tina looked at Newt in shock.

"This is your home?" Tina asked, a little incredulously. 

"Well, yes. This is my childhood home. My parents are quite wealthy, but I've never really enjoyed this very outward display of opulence." Newt said, with a look of resignedness on his face. They proceeded to join the stream of people, and after a short amount of time, they were inside, drying off their coats. Suddenly, an invisible force whisked Newt away from the large group of guests. Tina quickly followed him, and he was led to a mostly empty parlour, except for a well-dressed ageing man and woman. Newt stood facing them, rubbing his arm. 

"NEWTON ARTEMIS FIDO SCAMANDER! Where have you been?! I have been worried sick! What were you thinking, letting beasts loose in New York! And no note, no letter, nothing! " The lady said, who Tina figured was Newt's mum. Newt tried to protest, but his mum wasn't having any of it and proceeded to keep berating him. "You could have died, you could have been seen, you could have lost your father his job! Honestly, Newton. You could do with taking a leaf out of Theseus's book!" She seemed to have finished, as she was now looking at her son with a look of contempt. Theseus, who Tina suddenly noticed was in the room, sighed. 

"I'm sorry, mum," Newt mumbled, shamefaced. The hard exterior mask melted away from his mum's face, and she proceeded squeezed him into a fierce but affectionate hug. After she was done, she faced Tina.

"You must be Miss Goldstein. Both of my sons have told me so much about you. I'm Eleanor Scamander, a pleasure to meet you." Eleanor Scamander stated and shook hands with Tina. The statement left both of the Scamander brothers reddening, though for slightly different reasons.